Old Salt Glaze Liquor Bottle with metal overlay

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ZeeFinds, Sep 27, 2020.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I found this bottle at an estate sale and purchased it from the collector who said he thinks it is of Dutch origin or from The Netherlands (Holland). He called it a gin bottle with pewter overlay. I have scoured the internet in search of something similar to know a little more about it and determine a value. I have not had much luck, other than I know it's a salt glaze ceramic bottle.

Anyone know something about this? I suppose the metal is pewter, or could it be a low grade of silver? I wonder about the silver because one of the maker's mark stamps in the bottom has a lion–which often indicates silver. It's in great condition minus one small piece of metal strap missing below the knight on horseback (see pic).

Thanks for viewing!

DSCN6236.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

ZeeFinds likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Cool! That helps put an 1850s date on it. Since mine has the overlay, then maybe this one was a wealthy person's seltzer bottle?

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks like a jenever bottle to me, possibly pewter mounted by Gero, 20thc

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  6. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I found an expert resource!

Some internet rabbit holes and other postings led me to the Flemish Pewter Society. The site is in Dutch, the link is to the one English page. They have an email form for submitting items to identify.

It's in good hands now. I'll post any findings when they get back to me. (fingers crossed)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Genever indeed, and lovely stuff it is too. @Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a 'jeneverkruik'. But I don't recognize the knight (jouster?). It is either Dutch or Belgian.
    Daalderop also did pewter mounts on Dutch jenever bottles, but this one could be Belgian. Hasselt is the Belgian jenever town, but I couldn't find anything like this on the Hasselt jenever site.

blooey likes this.
  9. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

10. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

forget what I wrote above.

11. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

I've dug a few of these from old bottle dumps without the metal overlay. these bottles have very little value. They are very common but date back to the 19th & 20th century. They normally sell for a couple of pounds maybe a fiver at a push but because yours has that metal overlay, you may get slightly more for it.

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted