Old Russian Samovar Help to Identify Maker and Date ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by RLM Stamps, Mar 4, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Two of my great aunts were registered nurses working with the American Expeditionary Force and American Red Cross stationed in Verkne-Udinsk and Beresovka, Siberia Russia in 1919-1920 during the Bolshevik revolution. They bought this used Samovar set as an antique in 1918. After returning to the US, both sisters were killed in an automobile accident. There other sister, my grandmother ended up with this set. Could anyone help to identify the maker and help to date it?

IMG_2919 (2)-scfopt.jpg IMG_2937 (2)-scfopt.jpg IMG_2897 (2).JPG 1c - Provenance (2)-scfopt.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

always nice if we could get some close ups of the smaller pieces and maybe some idea of size...

3. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting that the family story says "bought as an antique in 1918." In theory that would mean it was made in or before 1818.

5. April07

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, but that's just a story....& i'll bet antique shops....or vendors....or folks selling stuff to get away from a Revolution........would say and do anything....even back then......

Bev aka thelmasstuff and Fid like this.
  7. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

When I googled Yegor Vanykin, I got results for Egor Vanykin. Samovar maker circa 1870 in Tula Russia. Thank you all. I guess it was not antique in 1919. That was me stating that. Not sure why. I saw that it was used and do not think anyone in my family used it. I should not have assumed it was antique when they bought it.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hey, you were only stating what you believed to be it’s history! No fault there!!!

9. April07

ok, I was in a rush so misunderstood your message. apologies

Bakersgma likes this.