Old Round Wood Box With Metal Bands

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Oct 25, 2014.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up this old looking box a week ago. Stands 7 1/4" tall and is about 10" across. The top has a ring to pull of the lid which is also wood. The top and bottom of the box has a metal band nailed to it. The band at the bottom of the box was bent over to the base. The inside has wood pieces to section it into 4. There is some paint chipping. I am hoping someone has seen this kind of box before.

Kath

box2.JPG box3.JPG box4.JPG box5.JPG box6.JPG box7.JPG box8.JPG box9.JPG box10.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is Orville Redenbacher's first Christmas package of four kinds of popcorn.:rolleyes:.
    It looks like an old Firkin that someone has painted and decaled. I think the dividers were added when decorated.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I agree with Greg. A lot of this type of paint and decal work was done on older wooden items back in the 60s=70s. I did some myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted