Featured Old round chairs, looking for info.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jason Farrell, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Jason Farrell

Jason Farrell New Member

We have two of these chairs and we love them. They are in the condition they were bought in and were planning on doing them up. But before we start we figured we should see what exactly they are. We have no ideas. Any help would be appreciated. received_896704427710404.jpeg received_327179879224506.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks 1940s,part of me thinks 1980s. Very cool shapes,restored they will be a statement !

Born2it, dude, Jason Farrell and 2 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

30s-40s for sure.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another vote for 30s-40s.

dude, Jason Farrell and Boland like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Look comfy but the cost to reupholster them isn't for the faint of heart. :eek:

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool looking chairs..

7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Agree with others. Would describe as 1930's Art Deco club chair with channel back tufting and carved wood frame. Very nice chairs and worth re-upholstering for personal use, but not for sale.

dude, Jason Farrell, Boland and 2 others like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Personally, I would keep the upholstery and clean up the wood.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I remember someone in my family had chairs like these when I was very young. Had to be cautious though, a child's head would have come right to where that wood trim is at the back and it was quite easy to bean yourself.

If your budget allows, I would reupholster them and I can already think of several different combinations of fabric to use. I would definitely use a different fabric on the back side and possibly on the tufted inside. They are awesome to be sure! If you change them, please brag about them here (with photos) when you are finished with the project.

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine, dude and 2 others like this.
  10. Jason Farrell

Jason Farrell New Member

Well I got these for $80 cad at a thrift store. I just fell in love with em. They don't smell smoky or fousty either.

Would anyone know where I could actually find info on these? Like who made em? When? Why does the face on the legs look like jar jar binks?

And I was thinking of painting the wood to look like iron and making the fabric black. Any ideas?

dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

JMHO - if you want an iron & black look please do it to something else.

12. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

If the fabric is in good condition and you just want to change the color to black, you could try dyeing them. I just dyed some Danish chairs from stained white/cream to black with RIT fabric dye. I'm pretty happy with the results, though not sure how it will hold up over time. Does anyone have any long-term experience with dyeing upholstery?

Jason Farrell and dude like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yes your chairs need some TLC, especially re-staining the wood and especially the feet!, but that wood is too lovely to paint!!! (IMHO!!) They'll be an amazing STATEMENT when done!!!

Art Deco chairs.jpg

Any Jewelry and Jason Farrell like this.
  14. Jason Farrell

Jason Farrell New Member

The room were putting these chairs in, there are 2x of them btw, is going to be Irish Newfoundland pub feel. It encompasses the entire living room, kitchen, amd dining room. So opinions on what to do with these is much appreciated!

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Good buy. I think I'd call them Hollywood Regency. They were meant to be over the top, yet somehow classy (tall order!)
    They are your chairs, but I would recommend against painting the wood with a metal finish--though I didn't even know Newfoundland Irish was a thing!

Maybe stain the woodwork in a wood tone that suits your scheme. Dyeing fabric is tricky for beginners, so if you can afford it, I would suggest go for the reupholstering. It can't hurt to go to something at least inspired by/reinterpreting the kind of fabrics they used at the time.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I don't know about Irish pubs in Newfoundland, but these chairs would look fine without an iron look in Irish pubs here in Europe.
    One of the characteristics of 'our' Irish pubs is that they have a lot of wood in the mid to darkish brown range.

17. Jason Farrell

Jason Farrell New Member

Well Newfoundland has a primarily Irish background. Sure the local radio station has an the "Irish Newfoundland show" every week that plays only Irish Newfoundland music. We have a totally different culture than the rest of Canada, even the other half of the province,which is called Labrador. Nothing alike. But my heritage is Irish and where I'm from its easy to tell that most people are too. Lol, little Ireland.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I am aware of that, but I didn't know the Newfoundland Irish traded that very Irish wood for iron.
    Obviously many traditional pub tables around the world have an iron foot, which probably started in industrial England, but the rest of the furniture has a wooden frame. Imo wood sets the mood in an Irish pub, followed by good music, and for some, boozing.

The Stag's Head in Dublin:
    upload_2021-12-21_13-47-42.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

All this pub talk is making me homesick for a city with the most beautiful pub in the world, the Marble Bar in Sydney. I hope you don't mind :playful::

upload_2021-12-21_14-24-6.jpeg
    upload_2021-12-21_14-26-43.jpeg

Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Small chance of finding who made these. Lots of makers made similar and it really doesn't matter much who made them. Value is in their utility and visual merit.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted