Featured Old? Rectangle Wood Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Oct 15, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Box stands 2 1/2" tall, measures 11" x 3 1/8". Not sure how old this really is.

box1.JPG box2.JPG box3.JPG box4.JPG box5.JPG box6.JPG box7.JPG box8.JPG box9.JPG box10.JPG

2. kraftblue

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I see similar sized things called document boxes. The painting on top is charming, but doesn't look to me like it's old.

Houseful and judy like this.
  4. kraftblue

Thanks More

judy likes this.
  5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, I've never seen anything like this before but I would agree it's age isn't "old", could be anywhere between 1950's to the modern day. The hardware and paint looks fresh, the construction of the box isn't technical (no joinery) even the painting is crude. As a box collector there isn't any attractive features to my eye but boxes were made all over the world in 1000's of different forms, I'm not guaranteeing someone with the right knowledge won't come along and say it's the bee's knees.

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The decoration certainly looks olde tymey, not old time.

Debora

James Conrad and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, cute little box but not old, built to look old.

8. kraftblue

Thanks 808, Deb and James.

808 raver likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As mos said, the top is charming. It looks like it was painted on an older box, the dark stain where the clasp folds over seems to be under the paint:

upload_2020-10-17_11-11-30.jpeg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted