Featured Old postcards - time to let go.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

IMG_4518.jpeg IMG_4522.jpeg IMG_4520.jpeg I never want to sell anything, but my kids don't want it. These three postcards were some from my mother. Apparently they were guys she knew. I have a bunch of these postcards with her and my aunts on them because it was popular back then. So many of her photos and postcards are of her friends and neighbors and she didn't ID them. I just remember her saying, "This is Joe Cupcake or Ida Know who lived next door" It's a thing these days that folks try to track down descendants, but I lack the mental energy for that. I do IMG_4518.jpeg IMG_4522.jpeg think they're marketable, especially the guy dressed like an early cowboy star!

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

You betcha...Good luck!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I have a similar batch. I plan on donating them to the local historical society.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those fuzzy chaps would definitely sell. Somebody would give him a home. (with or without roaming buffalo.)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Definitely interesting from a social/fashion history point of view, even if you never find out who Mr Cupcake really was. I know the "humour" postcards are some of the more marketable ones in the UK. Also war time ones and embroidered ones in good condition. I found a load dumped in the recycling bin at work and rescued them. Some had censorship approval stamps so they were from the trenches. I don't know why anyone would want to dispose of such things. My mum expressed an interest so I gave most of them to her.

Not sure what's hot in the US. It is a tricky market to say what is marketable and what isn't. I guess it's like stamps and cigarette cards. Put them out there and see what happens.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. evelyb30

Right now it's all sports cards, game cards, comic books etc. They have grading for all of the cards that sell for money now, not just sports cards. Postcards can be rough sledding.

pearlsnblume and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that your family is not interested in them. I go to quite a few estate sales where I see the same. I picked up a Bible for $10 that has family history going back into the 1700's, simply because I could not watch it end up in a dumpster :(

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I would try to sell them as others mentioned. I could even see PBS wanting them as they have films they make that depict what people were dressed in for that particular decade. Very interesting.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is so sad. Thank you for saving it.

Tiquer likes this.
  10. evelyb30

I'd put that Bible out for sale on one of the websites and make a searchable list of the names. I bet someone into geneaology is looking for it, even if they don't know it exists.

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I just went through an album of cards my youngest son saved in the 80s-90s. He was so good. They're all in sleeves and mint condition. None of the baseball cards is worth more than .99 but the original Ninja Turtles have some decent prices including two that are going for over $100 each! Who'd have thought it.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. evelyb30

It just goes to show that things made to collect to not appreciate in value most of the time. It's the things made for the moment and not expected to survive that go on to be valuable later.

Draft saved Draft deleted