Featured old ? plastic cameo brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Aug 15, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi guys something else i bought today, thought that it was worth a £1 as it looked quite old, thought it might have been bakelite, but unsure now

any thoughts appreciated

Aviary Photo_132103658251495169.jpg Aviary Photo_132103659890893528.jpg Aviary Photo_132103660717714954.jpg Aviary Photo_132103659142715316.jpg

BMRT, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty, charlie.
    Are those black lines or just cracks? They don't go in the same direction, but I wonder if she could be bone anyway?

i need help and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just noticed the raised bit behind the pin, yes, she is (an early?) plastic.

4. charlie cheswick

Thanks Aj, the big black one is what's commonly known and what alcoholics call 'hair of the dog' !:)

Doesn't feel like bone, pretty sure it's a plastic though

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Meant to suggest ivory, of course, but definitely plastic. Not Celluloid or that family of materials. Doesn't have the faintly matte quality I associate with Bakelite. Lots of other formulations for plastic, doubt pinning down which one this is matters. Going by good quality of the plastic vs. poor quality of metal pin assembly & the way it has been attached, would say it is WWII era. She's very pretty, could do with a clean.

6. charlie cheswick

Thanks Bronwen

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Well. I would've said celluloid. :p

Not the first time @Bronwen and I disagree over plastics. :joyful:

charlie cheswick and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Charlie's piece looks like an even shade of off-white, nearly or completely opaque. My experience with cameos of Celluloid, etc., is that they have lines intended to imitate the long grain in ivory, have yellowed by now, & easily allow light through.

Celluloid cameo 2A.JPG Ceres Celluloid mine.JPG Celluloid Cupid Garland A.jpg
    Also think OP's cameo was made after the heyday of Celluloid.

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

"After the heyday," may be a fair point. I don't really have a pinpoint sense of the time.

But there was/is lots of molded "celluloid" jewelry without the ivory look and without transparency in age.

That said, you've looked at way more cameos than I have.:joyful:

Bronwen and charlie cheswick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted