Featured Old Paris porcelain how old? Pre 1850?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kaiserpoo, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

Catch of the day. Old Paris porcelain how old? Pre 1850? Thx

it’s amazing how small they used to paint things.

IMG_5292.jpeg IMG_5293.jpeg IMG_5294.jpeg IMG_5302.jpeg IMG_5304.jpeg IMG_5303.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    Figtree3, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look like a hand painted scene.

judy likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im guessing more late 19th century.The quality isnt quite what earlier pieces seem to have.

judy, Any Jewelry and Kaiserpoo like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, too late for Old Paris. And not the Old Paris style imo. Too many frills and too much gold to be Old Paris.

5. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Can we see the inside picture?

judy likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't think this is old Paris, but rather Japan made for USA souvenir market. It's the sort of item that could have been made in the late fifties to early sixties. It's not well done, and has handling wear on the edges but non on the base. It appears to have been stored for a long time, as there is no dust or wear to the bottom edge of the vase. I deduce the gold paint is very fragile.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I agree with Japan. The scene is Japanese. I took the Handling Wear to be intentional, perhaps to make it look older? My great aunt had pieces like this in the 50s. Her decor was "oriental" as it was called then.

antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm going to differ a bit here. Late 19th c. The scene isn't Japanese, but a generic European landscape scene. It is hand-painted, but that bright gilding that wears like that wasn't only Japanese, but some German factories used similar too. The fact that the base colour is only on the front also points to "cheap and cheerful" wares. So, continental, likely German -- some German factories made a lot of souvenir ware at the time.

Figtree3, antidiem, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Good to know. I looked at the scene with a magnifying glass and what I took to be a Japanese pointed hat is actually just a hat. The "Mt. Fuji" generic mountain in the background threw me. Thanks for the info!

kentworld, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. antidiem

Yes this is true too. I'd forgotten about German souvenir ceramics. I'd say it's a toss up and the gold is not even ceramic cold paint, but any old painted gold color not mindful of the wear factor.

Very possible. It certainly does not look like actual ceramic glaze paint, but something lesser gold color.

kentworld likes this.
  11. antidiem

Sorry to mess with your "catch of the day" by a century! ;)

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted