Old or newish (japanese?) Saucer?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Stanzerl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Could this Saucer be old by any chance? And if someone could help me with the translation of the porcelain mark, that would be great. Any idea where it could be from?
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

It looks like a crazy quilt!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can be of no help here....other than to say it looks like 4 broken plates that were glued back together...:):)

Oh, and reading the title FAST......I thought you were asking about a Jewish saucer !! :hilarious:

4. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

It does, doesn't it? :) But somehow I liked it and it was only $0.99 and I'm just curios how old it could be. I tried to find this mark yesterday, but wasn't lucky. :(

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Komokwa - Yom Kippur just gets to one, doesn't it. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    komokwa likes this.
  6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Not your mark, but the style looks almost identical, so maybe the same maker:
    Meiji period Kyoto Satsuma Moriage
    May 31, 2014 Asian Art & Antiques
    Collection of Lita Xú Líng Kelley

I found a bunch on the internet, eBay, Etsy, etc. searching with key words of either Imari moriage or Satsuma moriage. You do have to scroll through a lot of thumbnails to find the exact crazy quilt, slip trailed enamel pattern/design with the squares and hexagon/honeycomb. None that I've found have the same maker's mark as yours, though.

I did save a ton of links on Note Pad and will post them for you later.

Stanzerl likes this.
  7. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Stanzerl likes this.
  8. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Wow, Laura!!!! Thanks! This is a great hint! I will try to email the person of the blog, maybe she knows something! But first I will follow your tips and do some more research! Thanks again :) and I will keep you updated if I get some more info. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted