Featured Old or modern? Light glass carafe/jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Apr 20, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I picked this up today as it is incredibly lightweight and has the edge of the foot rolled up, I can’t remember the correct term but remembered reading in here that can be a sign of older glass.
    Is it likely to have any age or is it modern please?
    It’s so lightweight I was cautious taking the price sticker off it! I thought I’d find out what it is before I wash it so please excuse the dirt!
    c9” tall and featherlight.
    Very grateful for any help.
    Thankyou
    EB68B4DF-11DB-4E56-86F2-92935BA542CD.jpeg A43EFB67-666B-4436-BBA6-1D5A4A2C30E6.jpeg CB87CEAD-A451-4C63-A81D-24CE0F1E61E5.jpeg C5753522-45ED-4242-A8A5-D694679F9A1C.jpeg A1278AC8-B86C-4EAF-93CD-A6B0FF91048F.jpeg 93B2419A-923F-40C1-A49C-22BEB39FBBBA.jpeg 68F14012-6EC1-4F5A-A844-5D8CF6623A47.jpeg 218A4495-B448-4A0A-994B-2D5F4717F54B.jpeg 90DBA79B-1D9F-4975-A399-6E02AD4E449C.jpeg 959B5312-05BC-4420-8504-4B6AB98ABFF2.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful.
    Rolled footrim or rolled rim, I think.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Old old old. I’d say facon de Venise.

cxgirl, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

OBB, :kiss:,last time you told me old,old it was 2000 years old :eek: How old is old,old,old?!!
    Off to Google……

5. Any Jewelry

If in old, old, every old is 1000 years, old, old, old is 3000 years.:pompous::hilarious::kiss:

*crs*, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Smarty :p

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

:D
    I would think 18th century, but @Ownedbybear knows far more about it than this amateur.:)

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I know enough to be dangerous! If it’s true facon de Venise, then it can be as early as sixteenth, but the bulk is seventeenth. It did get made later. I’m thinking seventeenth or eighteenth.

Any Jewelry, KSW and bercrystal like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks OBB. Dangerous is good!, I’m pretty sure it was you who told me about the folded foot or I’d have walked straight past this!. That and the lightweight clue are quite literally the only knowledge I have about glass.
    I may take it to a local auction valuation morning next week. It’s life expectancy in my house is very short as it is so fragile and I don’t have a cabinet where it would be safe.
    I don’t fancy trying to eBay this and get it through the post intact! It would be sad for something that has lasted maybe 200-500 years to meet its maker with me :rolleyes:
    I will report back if the expert at the auction house is expert!

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

I’d email a photo to Will Farmer at Fieldings. You need someone who really understands glass, and locals might not. The other people who’ve a lot of facon de Venise are the museum of London. Or ping McConnell on Facebook.

bercrystal, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great advice, thankyou. Who is McConnell?

12. Any Jewelry

Andy McConnell. He is also a member here btw, but he posted only one or two threads.

bercrystal, KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I actually sold him a piece of glass once.

He’s on Facebook and in several of the glass groups. Try posting on his timeline.

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I will do. Thankyou :)
    I’ve bought two more pieces of glass today at the car boot. Flipping addictive this! Do you mind having a look for me please?

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Already done!

KSW likes this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear I took the ring and the jug into an auction house in Ciren today. The lad that glanced at the jug said it was 1960s/70s due to the spiral decoration around the middle. I’m really not convinced he knows what he’s looking at so I will definitely send images to the people you have recommended! If it’s nothing special I’m fine with that but I want to do my due diligence.
    On the other hand they loved the ring especially when I showed him the screenshots of the Roman glass. He trotted off to show their jewellery expert and there was whispering and huddling over it :rolleyes: and valued at 300-500 at auction. I haven’t decided who to sell it with yet as they are very expensive with their commission and the load of other charges they put on it :jawdrop:. I’m not risking it on eBay though.

17. Any Jewelry

:banghead::rolleyes:
    Good!:happy::kiss:

IvaPan, bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

The lad is clueless, bless him. IMHO!

I’d have to Hoard that ring…..

IvaPan and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted