Featured Old or made to look old tourist figurines

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lark, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I inherited a lot of stuff my parents picked up while in Indonesia. My parents usually only bought antiques. However when they left my father's employees snuck in many many many items into their shipment that were not antiques. I was going to list these two wooden figurines but want a little information and wanted to check they were not of great value. They look to me like they are made to look old with the white in the crevices. I assume they are Buddhist monks . I am also assuming they are wood . There is a hole in the one elbow and it looks like wood, IMG_9229.JPG IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9231.JPG IMG_9232.JPG IMG_9233.JPG IMG_9234.JPG IMG_9235.JPG IMG_9236.JPG They are so light weight it makes me wonder. The "tail" of their robes are nailed on to the main body. I can see the round headed nails under the paint/ lacquer. 6" tall. i see so many versions on line. Only one like mine but on 1st dibs so i discount that one. I wish i had asked my parents more while I still could.

KSW, komokwa, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Lark. Yes, they are Buddhist monks, made in Burma/Myanmar. They are carved and lacquered wood, inlaid with coloured glass.
    They could be vintage or antique, but I don't know enough about them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Lark, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted