Old oil painting portrait #3

Discussion in 'Art' started by Percy French, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Percy French

Percy French Member

Hello again everyone, I am hoping some of you may be able to provide additional information to an old portrait oil painting I am considering purchasing. Please excuse the angles and photographs, only it looks to have been varnished at some stage and has a very shiny surface. This looks very old and out of 3 paintings I have been looking information on it looks the most primitive and possibly the oldest? Basically although I am trying to find out more about it regarding what age it may be and possible origins or. No sign of any signature, there is also damage and flaking running down the left hand side of the painting.

Any help, views or opinions greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    P-F

1657270360906 (1).jpg 1657270361000.jpg 1657270361119.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Always include pics of the back and frame ,you can tell a lot from those.Signature too.

3. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

PF, without seeing more I would assume your three paintings are from the 19th century. Definitely recommend taking a look at the back. Naive styling doesn't necessarily mean the painting is older. Less-experienced painters have been around for ages.

The woman is (IMO) pretty. I wonder who she was? Where was she from? What language did she speak? I'm not an expert at clothing styles, however she isn't wearing lead white makeup and her dress is less formal.

The painting has been varnished and has a noticeable grime layer. Wouldn't be surprised if it also has old inpainting. You may be able to date the painting by examining the stretcher more closely. Wouldn't be surprised if it dates to the 1860s or later.

What are the painting's dimensions? How large is the frame? Do you have a better shot of the whole thing from the front? Unless the canvas is very large, the frame seems small relative to the canvas. Suggests to me that the artist/original owner couldn't afford a more expensive frame OR perhaps it's been replaced. Alternatively, the painting could be newer than you think.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like a religious painting, St. Catherine perhaps. Have you done a Google Image search to see if you can find a match? May be a reproduction.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted