Featured Old Master Style O/C Signature help please

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Dec 23, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Good morning. I completely forgot to get measurements but will get them after the holidays. Painting would benefit from cleaning! Owners smoked for a long time. Does anyone recognize the signature? Looks like M. Vau then I have no idea. IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3527.JPG IMG_3528.JPG IMG_3529.JPG Gallery label for Schramm Galleries which is no longer in business but operated in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The frame alone price was $215 and the painting $150 back in the 1960's.

judy, Figtree3, Roaring20s and 3 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can't help with much save to say that my grandparents had a very similar art piece in their place. I wish I had saved it.
    Hope you get some great answers.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're misreading the handwritten notations. To my eye, it appears to read... The painting alone was priced at $150.00. The painting with frame was priced at $215.00. (In other words, the frame was an additional $65.00.)

Debora

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Bronwen and Debora like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your painting would be described as a "Claudian landscape" because it is based on the compositional form developed by the 17th century French painter Claude Lorrain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Lorrain

Debora

kyratango, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

'Vauwti' ?

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That sig seems very difficult... would take a long time for research. It would be nice to see what the cleaned version of this looks like. If you ever have it cleaned, @laura9797 .

9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I read Vannuti:cyclops:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted