Old looking brass or copper Asian pot planter ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by billyd3us, Feb 17, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I have this old looking brass or copper planter pot, not marked anywhere that I can see.
    Has 4 images one on each side panel, I need to know where it came from and possible age, I picked up at a family run estate sale.

Attached Files:

• 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      205.8 KB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      324.8 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      296.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

India, best guess. Age....no idea. @verybrad might know better than I would.

3. billyd3us

Thank You, I really love this new site I found, so much help and it makes me happy.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like brass to me. Think further East from India. China, Korea, or Japan. I am not knowledgeable enough about the differences in motifs and they all copied each other a bit. Better quality than some we see but not the highest quality. Might be worth sending some pics off to an auction house for an opinion. Even mid-level Chinese antiques are bringing pretty good money right now.

5. billyd3us

Thanks man, I mean verybrad. I had a similar idea though wasn't 100% sure, but didn't know about sending to an auction house. I will see what Christies says about it. Thanks for that info man.....

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Christie's might be setting your sights too high. If it doesn't meet their qualifications, they may just tell you that without any further comment. I would shoot a tier lower..... maybe Skinner's or Bonham's for example. Please let us know what you find out.

7. billyd3us

Yeah, you are correct. I have sent Christie's a couple of photos throughout the years, nothing met their expectations. I will try Skinner's and or Bonham's.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you click on Full Image your photos will appear in the post.
    I've seen a lot of Indian and Asian brass and I have to say many times you cannot guess the age because they still make things the same way. That said, it does not look terribly old to me. I don't see the quality of workmanship that would denote age, but I could be wrong. For your sake, I hope it's worth a lot!

020.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG

9. billyd3us

Okay Thanks, I think I got it now.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That lion or foo dog looks Chinese

11. billyd3us

Hi Bev, Thanks for that.