Featured Old Ledger(s) & In Memoriam cards

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Jul 29, 2024.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Just thought I’d share my latest finds. Two old ledgers I picked up at a market (UK) this weekend. They may be related to one another, I don’t know for sure. I only know they were together when I bought them.

The smaller one dates from the 1870s and contains some entries in script style handwriting. There’s even the old blotting paper still in the book. Most of the pages contain a 1940s diary though, written in pencil. I’m including the entry for VJ Day. Interestingly I haven’t found any other entries yet that mention WWII.

The larger book is a catalogue of In Memoriam cards which obviously require research! I just love objects like this, there’s so much history to explore.

IMG_9137.jpeg IMG_9138.jpeg IMG_9139.jpeg IMG_9140.jpeg

2. Batman_2000

Oops, forgot the diary entry!

IMG_3547.jpeg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah. Someone semi-literate. ("Piece," "Holliday," "countrys.") Likely from among the "work people."

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd call that a scrapbook rather than a ledger, which is a word I associate with accounting. Oh, I see now that it was also used to keep accounts.

Debora

5. Batman_2000

Yes, farm workers I think, it’s a rural area. And I imagine they were quite insulated from the War which is probably why it’s not mentioned much in the diary. Lots of references to the number of eggs being laid though!

The small book has ‘Cash Book’ written on the spine. Seems to have been a younger person keeping it though. The larger one of more like a scrap book though? You’re right… plain pages for sticking things in.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The In Memoriam cards are fascinating. Just think of the families who would be interested in seeing!

Debora

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Great find.

I would have jumped at this, too. The page describing the hens/eggs would make for a great start for an art piece.

8. Batman_2000

I’m planning to research them & possibly post online - amazing to think that some of the people were born in the mid 1700s!

9. Batman_2000

The script is beautiful @sabre123, and looks like a young person practicing their penmanship ☺️.

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

What great finds. History is never boring.

Any Jewelry, Batman_2000 and Debora like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Your items are always interesting, @Batman_2000 -- Welcome back! I don't think you had been here for a while.

Batman_2000 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted