old jug lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tricia Harr, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

hi all this caught my eye, very different and old looking.. any ideas? should I remove the base?
    tia all 2019-08-14-16-18-17.jpg 2019-08-14-16-18-30.jpg 2019-08-14-16-18-56.jpg 2019-08-14-16-18-46.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Tricia Harr

ty, I'm gonna look now

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Don't remove the base unless you are going to put a better one on it. The threaded rod that the lamp cord runs through will be sticking out of the bottom of the jug.

Tricia Harr, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Probably irrelevant, but this company exhibited a large version of the Portland vase at the Great Exhibition of 1851 that catalogue describes as 'fawn ground, white figures'.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/b/boote.html

i need help likes this.
  6. Bronwen

7. Tricia Harr

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  8. Tricia Harr

I was going to remove to see if there was a maker's mark on it

9. Bronwen

Funny. On the cameo signatures thread we've veered off into trompe l'oeil paintings that look like cameos. Isn't that what this is? Appears to be bas-relief, actually all same level with clever painting?

i need help likes this.
  10. Tricia Harr

I have no clue about anything really..I'm just a beginner... I try to find info online when that fails, I come here to the experts.. you guys and gals are awesome!!!

11. Bronwen

Think problem with this is going to be whether, how & how much to clean. Looks a bit grimy but you sure wouldn't want to remove any paint.

i need help likes this.
  12. Tricia Harr

it looks like it was stained?

13. Bronwen

I can only encourage you to take extreme care & test out any cleaning method in an inconspicuous place. Wonder whether it was originally all brown with white figures? The vase is reproduced in all sorts of ways; this one is new to me. Whoever designed this decided to make it look more time ravaged than the actual vase does.

i need help likes this.
  14. Tricia Harr

Ok, it got the best of me and I took the lamp apart... here's the pics.. I have not cleaned it yet.. 2019-08-15-12-10-42.jpg 2019-08-15-12-10-55.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

The roughness & irregularity of the hole in the bottom for the cord to run through, not to mention the rustic look of the wood base, suggest to me that someone made this lamp at home, using for the body something that was sold as a strictly decorative item. If so, you are not going to find another for comparison.

i need help likes this.
  16. Tricia Harr

so it's a dud :(. I was hoping it was a diamond in the ruff.. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted