Featured Old indian glove.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Exracer, Sep 4, 2024.

1. Exracer

Exracer New Member

20240901_092837.jpg 20240901_092841.jpg Anyone have any idea what, where, when....?
    Got this from my Grandfather. I might know a couple of clues, but I'll wait till someone has something to say about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2024
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well worn. Looks like native tanned leather. Minimal, geometric beadwork. My first impression is possibly Northern Plains/Plateau area, possibly Blackfeet. Early to mid 20th century.

Was your Grandfather's initial a "J"?

Go ahead and save us time by providing any details you may have. We don't like to be teased.

3. Exracer

Exracer New Member

Lol, wasn't trying to tease. Didn't want to mislead. Ok, here's everything I know. My grandfather gave this to me about 60 years ago. Don't remember anything he might have said about it for sure, I was around 10 at the time. It looks exactly the same today as it did then. He was friends with Chief Little Pine of the Beardy indians in Saskatchewan. I think I remember him saying that that's who gave it to him, not sure about that. Another thing though is that I have a great or great great grandfather that used to drive stagecoach across the US. Could have come from down there somewhere I guess. I'm curious about the bead pattern, whether it might be a clue.

Any Jewelry, reader and 2manybooks like this.
  4. 2manybooks

Ah, Plains Cree.
    I will tag another member (a Canadian) - @komokwa

Any Jewelry, reader and Potteryplease like this.
  5. 2manybooks

Here are a few Plains Cree artifacts in the National Museum of the American Indian, documented as collected in 1925-1926. They show a similar color palette, the use of geometrics as opposed to floral designs, and the preference for the smooth application of beads using the overlay-stitch, (although some lane-stitch/lazy-stitch appears on the woman's cape).

upload_2024-9-4_14-15-28.png
    https://americanindian.si.edu/collections-search/object/NMAI_153902

upload_2024-9-4_14-16-35.png
    https://americanindian.si.edu/collections-search/object/NMAI_153895

upload_2024-9-4_14-17-35.png
    https://americanindian.si.edu/collections-search/object/NMAI_199483

Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
    J Dagger, Potteryplease and reader like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I seriously doubt stagecoach driver.... as they would have had to be more robust...

[​IMG]

but a gift from a Northern Cree.... sounds more likely..

7. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Before seeing the replies, my initial reaction was that it looks entirely legit, and if I guessed a location, it would be northwest plains.

Potteryplease and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted