Old Handmade Quilt,Bible Story Quilt

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antiquelover69, Oct 18, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Another item I got at an estate sale.I think this is called bible story quilt.Quilt has stories from the old testament.I saw one that was created by Ruby Short McKim,but I don't think it is her quilt.Anybody know how to date old quilts.There's some damage and stains. SAM_3957.JPG SAM_3958.JPG SAM_3960.JPG SAM_3961.JPG SAM_3969.JPG SAM_3970.JPG SAM_3964.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. antiquelover69

I know the condition is poor,it's old and whoever had it this is how it was left in poor condition.The Estate sale was from an older person home.I remember my aunt making quilts and my paster's wife.They made quilts and stirching was off not straight.I'm 72,I remember many older quilts that were torn but people restored them.I have never heard of this lady or her quilts that's why i asked.But thank you

judy likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

5. antiquelover69

wiscbirddog likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Sometimes soaking in Tide or Biz over night can get out some old stains. It looks like you could put a border piece around it and make it look presentable. I don't think the embroidery to be bad. These were made by amateurs. you can tell it was heartfully made. Maybe for a young boy.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Interesting...definitely rather primitive looking.
    My guess is that it was made by a youngster. I remember starting on embroidery projects when I was about 8; including storybook quilt blocks. LOL... I finished it when I was expecting my first child.
    Perhaps this was something that girls could work on at Bible school?

I think it could be saved... a good soak and perhaps made a bit smaller; seems good advice!

Cheerio Leslie

antiquelover69 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted