Featured Old hand painted bentwood box victorian? questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jarco Schoonbeek, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Foto 2 Bentwood box.jpg Foto 4 Bentwood box.jpg Foto 3 Bentwood box.jpg Foto 1 Bentwood box.jpg Hello,

Does anyone know something more about this Bentwood box?
    I think it's a box for wedding?

They gave this as a present @ weddings.
    Or it's use to store mail, clothes accessories in it.

Comments are welcome :chicken:

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jarco...you'll have a good time here!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. U think so? :shame: Greetingss!

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The woman's clothing and the background have me in mind of Italy. She seems to be a farm worker with that rake.

5. Yes i also think it's a farm worker, but i first tought it was a gardener.
    Ah yes the rake, and the flowers she's holding?

Its seems more french then Italian to me. What u think?

Thanks for you comment on my post!

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Bakersgma

I was thinking Italian because of the poplar trees in the background.

7. Bakersgma

Actually there are 2 possibilities - Lombardy poplar or Italian Cypress.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How big? I see boxes with this sort of construction meant to sit on a dresser top & hold gloves or collars. Not sure what the specialty purpose of this one would be, though.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You could put in it whatever suits your fancy....that fits! What's the overall length and width? It's very sweet......

judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful box.
    About the box itself: Blank boxes were and are usually made in the Black Forest region of Germany, and exported to other countries. It was an important source of income, the famous Black Forest carvings of animals were not made in the Black Forest but in Brienz in Switzerland.
    In the past the boxes were generally used to store small articles of clothing, and also by travelling salesmen to hold small items. Nowadays they are still made and mainly used for home decor.

The colour and the way the roses are painted are all typical of South Tyrole, formerly Austro-Hungarian empire, presently northern Italy.
    The costume also looks northern Italian to me, possibly Sarntal or thereabouts. It isn't French.
    She looks like she is on her way to do a spot of gardening, but the flowers she is holding and the rake, are all symbolic of love and marriage. She herself is the garden, if you get my drift. Not a symbolism we would use today.

Datewise I would guess ca 1900, but I find it difficult to date because it is in such good order. Most boxes were used daily and show it.
    Also the quality of painting is very good, which would suggest a more recent date. As I said, I find dating it difficult.

BTW, neither Austria, Italy nor France were ever under British rule, so it can't be Victorian. (Just saying.:playful:)

komokwa, 2manybooks, judy and 6 others like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

True, but... in the U.S. these days it is commonly used. Perhaps Victorian Era would be a better way to say it.

komokwa, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Jarco is in the Netherlands.;)

Even in the English speaking world Victorian covers different style periods, so it is difficult to use as an indication. Is it 1830s or is it early 20th century?
    I prefer to say something like late 19th century, or the decade.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I knew that! Or at least thought so, from the name. I was trying to give an example of a country outside of the ones you listed where people now throw out the word "Victorian" to mean the era. I agree with what you said about the use of it.

In the photo collecting world, people sometimes use "Victorian" (or Victorian Era) if the photo was taken between 1839-1900. (I begin with 1839 because that is when the daguerreotype was announced and when photographic processes started to be used more prevalently. Prior to that there were some, but mostly experimental, processes.) There are some people who extend that into the 20th century, but those are people who are not aware of the date Queen Victoria died.

komokwa, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Well spotted!:) It is a very Dutch name, but not a well-known one.
    Traditionally those are countries that are English speaking or that used to be part of the British Empire.
    Unfortunately I see the term appearing overhere as well. Sellers use it, probably to attract overseas buyers.
    I don't think we Dutch and other Continentals should use it if there is no commercial interest involved. It dilutes our sense of our own history, which is bad enough as it is, at least in The Netherlands.:(

komokwa, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  15. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Although I've no dog in this fight, I agree. The Chinese are said to have gotten this from Confucius: "Wisdom Begins with Calling Things by their Proper Name"

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

That's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

I think the French used to have a law that a high percentage of songs played on the radio had to be French language songs, so French language and culture would be preserved.

judy likes this.

17. Gift for wedding?

judy and Bronwen like this.

18. U know so much about history (It's amazing!) :chicken::chicken::chicken:

judy, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Any Jewelry Thank you for so much info, it's amazing how much u know about this!

I would like to reply on your comment:

"Datewise I would guess ca 1900, but I find it difficult to date because it is in such good order. Most boxes were used daily and show it.
    Also the quality of painting is very good, which would suggest a more recent date. As I said, I find dating it difficult".

Could it be that this is a box from 1880-1900's? I think it would be very possible.
    If you open the box and smell the inside. :meh: It's not a smell you want to smell every day. It smells like very old wood (stinky wood).

The image and the painting is very good preserved, maybe this is one of the few bent wood boxes left that is in such good shape (just suggesting).

I can't believe that someone painted this and that person should live in 1920 or 40's (It just can't be). 1880 or 1900 would be a good guess!

Thank you!!

judy, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Very good guess. The others on this forum said that as well. But you where the first one that came up with italian.... :):):)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted