Old German Portrait Vase Who Dunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Feb 2, 2018.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Got this vase at a local auction. I can't find the mark in Kovel's or on the internet. Any idea who made this pretty thing?

prt1.jpg prt3.jpg prt4.jpg prt2.jpg

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've never seen that mark before and haven't had much luck finding it. For what it's worth I think your lady may be representing Spring. The carnations are spring flowers and sets of four vases, each representing one of the four seasons, were quite popular around 1900. It looks like it might be entirely hand painted. Very nice.
    Don

aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. vitry-le-francois

Thanks, Don. She is very beautiful, indeed. Spent a few hours looking for the mark, myself. I'll go with your info and see what happens :)

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

There is an RS Prussia group on Facebook. You might want to run it by them just in case. Even if not RS they may know who made it.
    Don

LIbraryLady, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I believe your mark is the E S Crown mark 10 (R S Prussia) used 1890s to early 1900s. The numbers are the inventory number. Reference: Gaston's Collector's Encyclopedia of R. S. Prussia.

6. vitry-le-francois

Awesome! THANKS Ascot :)

ascot and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted