Featured Old fold-out table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ChrisR, Aug 26, 2024.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR New Member

I've inherited this table, all I know is that my grandmother (born c1907) always said it was expensive and never to get rid of it. Can anyone tell me anything about it, possibly including if she was right in it having good value?

I've no idea on the wood type other than it being solid, and it has been in the family for at least 50 years that I can confirm but possibly way longer. I can't see any repair work or damage. The table top is attached and spins on the attachment. There are no drawers or compartments except the the cavity underneath the tabletop.

I'd be incredibly grateful for any insight anyone can give.

table1.JPG table2.JPG table3.JPG table5.JPG table4.JPG

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

19th century American flip top games table or card table.

mirana, ChrisR, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

English Oak swivel or flip top table, me thinks.
    Card or games tables usually had green baize tops.
    The damage will not do it any favours

laura9797, mirana, ChrisR and 4 others like this.
  4. laura9797

and I just noticed a little bit of inlaid chequer parquetry around the base. These are a hard sell here in the south.

ChrisR, Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. laura9797

Is it not mahogany? In the first shot, the apron looks like it? I wish I was better with wood!

6. daveydempsey

I think it's a Victorian Tea Table, I sold 3 to a neighbour over a period of 18 months, she used them to display her jigsaws.
    £50 max on each one with no damage.
    And yes it is Mahogany not oak.

mirana, ChrisR, Ghopper1924 and 5 others like this.
  7. daveydempsey

Because one side is flat when folded, these tended to get pushed up against a wall with a radiator.
    The heat cracked the wood near the hinges and warped the main surface.

8. ChrisR

ChrisR New Member

Thanks for the replies, very interesting reading. It's almost certainly English as my family lived all their lives in Newcastle, but there's a possibility it's been imported.

So it seems the consensus is that there's no significant value? We're clearing my mum's house and need to decide what to do with everything.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The apron is certainly mahogany veneers. I am thinking the top has had its veneers stripped off.

laura9797, ChrisR and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

it’s an English gaming table ca. 1870 with mahogany veneer. You can’t buy this quality anymore! Everyone needs tables, so why not use this one-that you presumably got for free-and count yourself lucky! You can’t get anywhere near this quality with flat pack for 5 times the price!

laura9797, mirana, lovewrens and 2 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

keep it....... yer grandma said never get rid of it...... honour her memory by keeping it in the family as an antique to pass down to the kids...

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd keep it and use it. It's ten times better than the cheap crap they sell now.

laura9797, mirana, lovewrens and 2 others like this.
  13. ChrisR

ChrisR New Member

Absolutely. It's just good to know whether it can be kept round a toddler, or whether it needs wrapping in bubble wrap and separately insuring!

laura9797, komokwa and lovewrens like this.
  14. daveydempsey

Just treat it as another piece of furniture, don't insure it.
    Their value is minimal.
    As I said earlier, I've had 3 separate tables from house clearances, I struggled to sell them, if it hadn't of been for my neighbour who paid £50 each for them, I think I would still have them.
    My antique furniture dealer friend identified them as early Victorian 1840-1845 and said they were Tea Tables.

The neighbour I sold them to recently died, the people she left her house to asked If I wanted to buy them back.:eek:

They are still in the house:rolleyes:

15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The toddler might "damage" it, but some call that it's history. We had a dining table my sibling kept specifically because he loved retelling the history, which included the spiral-graph indents and the area where dad pushed too hard signing his name to a check. All the pieces mom tried to keep nice and unused went unclaimed. The pieces we made memories in got kept. ;)

16. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Mirana, my dining room table (mahogany) has spiral graph marks from my kids & I & now imprints of Winnie the Pooh from my Granddaughter my middle Grandson when my husband was teaching him to write his name (both south paws) my youngest Grandson & I left matchbox car marks on a brand new leather sectional. Houses & furniture are for living & memories.

mirana, komokwa and laura9797 like this.
  17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love that! :shame:

18. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Thank you! Some may not see it that way, but we do.

mirana likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I own its twin, it was our dining table when I was small. Mahogany indeed. They’re usually early nineteenth when they’re as delightfully simple as this one.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted