Featured Old? Fish from where?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by trip98, Aug 14, 2021.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

fish2.jpg fish1.jpg About 13" long x 1/2" to 1/4" wide. Not sure of material. Hard but not heavy.

LauraGarnet02, Cabrina and judy like this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Did I stump everyone?

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Some kind of a fishing lure? Segmented to make it wiggly...?

Each little segment is decorated, so that could mean it was always meant to be a decorative item.

Figuring out what it's made of would probably help figure out what its purpose is. It looks like pottery in the pictures.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is it possible to get a photo of the cross-section or the one that has a small chip?

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some sort of bovine horn?

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I will photo chip in s few min. It is held together with black string that is fragile and about to break apart.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. i need help

That's what I was thinking.

Boland, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Could that be soapstone? If each segment is hand carved to shape and hand decorated, it sure is done precisely and perfectly. Could that design be tribal?

I was thinking along the lines of a spear fishing decoy. The fisherman would dangle it in the lake or river and let it wiggle in the currents until the big fish came along.

That black thread could have been very strong fishing line decades and decades and decades ago.

Well I'm just blabbing a stream of consciousness here. Truly I'm stumped. Could be a mid-century modern wall hanging for all I know, lol!

judy, trip98 and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Here is another one. Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 9.48.59 PM.png

13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow a fishing lure. You were correct (and right off the bat) well done! I was thinking some sort of symbolic tribal ornament/thing

LauraGarnet02, i need help and judy like this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

LauraGarnet02, i need help and judy like this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It does look like soapstone to me; but it doesn't look like any kind of Inuit object that I am familiar with. Possibly African, and possibly made for tourist/souvenir purposes rather than actual use. The string seems too fragile for fishing, and again, I don't recall seeing any fishing lures like this, from any culture.
    I could be wrong, easily; but I never trust online sources for identification; and I'd note that the little circular decorative motifs are strongly associated with African items that have been widely misrepresented on ebay as Eskimo artifacts.
    Those circles are very easy to make with a motor tool such as Dremel; less easy with hand tools in the past.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Very well could be African and/or souvenir piece I think with a bit of age to it. Thanks for all the input!
    The string seems too fragile for fishing, and again, I don't recall seeing any fishing lures like this, from any culture.

I think the piece may have been restrung at some point because the string is really sewing thread and not restrung very well - bunch of loose threads and knots.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  17. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to think it's not an actual tool for active fishing. A stone fishing attractor just seems very impractical--it'd have to be an enormously fast river to keep stones from sinking to the bottom.

Beyond that, I'm not much help!

Draft saved Draft deleted