Old cursive writing under Derby Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bangschr, Aug 15, 2022.

1. bangschr

bangschr New Member

While cleaning an old roll top desk, I came across some old handwriting underneath. The desk itself appears to be about 100 years old and comes apart into 4 main pieces (the top, 2 pedestals, and a panel that conjoins the pedestals in the rear. The writing is on the bottom of the top. The right pedestal covered up much of the writing which leads me to believe that it was written when it was made.

There appears to be 3 words and I think the last word is "firm". Among the writing is also the numbers "543" (handwritten at the top and stamped in red at bottom), and what might be a signature (under the second word), and also some numbers (maybe letters) at the very top. I have also found the same stamp "543" on the inside of the pedestals, although badly faded.

There were also 2 stamps on 2 different drawers which might mean it was imported to South America at some point.

There is also various other writing throughout the desk, and some might be more modern.

Most of the drawers are also numbered but with small pins that do not protrude through the other side.

As for the desk itself, it appears to be old. But, I'm sceptical of it being a "Derby Desk" although it has the Derby keyhole. For example, the top is not beveled. All other examples I've seen have a beveled top. Everything else seems correct.

As for the drawer, my search on the "Hale Co New York" plate turned up a company dating back to 1894 "Hale Company Chairs and Furniture" but their logo looked much different. I've only found chairs from them online, not any desks. Also, another business called "Hale Manufacturing" that specializes in office furniture since 1907. Again though, I can't find any antique desks from them, or even a logo.

I've enhanced the photos to show the writings better.
    Let me know what you think.

20220814_151024.jpg

20220814_151027.jpg

20220815_145933.jpg

20220814_151138.jpg

20220815_170157 (2).jpg

Photo below is the inside of a bottom drawer.
    20220811_164029.jpg

Photo below is the top of a small drawer.
    20220814_151424.jpg

Photo below is top of small drawer. I see "Boca Campeon" which is an Argentinean sports club dating back to the early 1900's.
    20220814_151437.jpg

Photo below is the outside of a larger top drawer.
    20220810_162440 (1).jpg

Photo below is the outside of a large bottom drawer.
    20220815_145604 (1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Could be Furn, as in Furniture. The word before that looks like Columbus

3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

The stamps are in Spanish. At one time it was cleaned and disinfected. Mexico or further south I don't know.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone's signed and dated. 194_.

Debora

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They were champions of the Primera division in 1940, 1943 and 1944

Ghopper1924, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, there you go. Knew someone would know.

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It seems clear an Argentine child played under it (Campeon may translate literally as champion, but it in this context it might just mean Go Boca!). What looks like L.a. Ahile, and R. Rhiera, are names, and can't make out the last figure but yes, 28 Oct 4something. The disinfection stamps might refer to a certain time when it was mandatory to do that to imported goods (and people, during all the previous pandemics).
    The desk seems to be no older than the 20s and no newer than the war. 543 and other numbers by another hand look to me like job numbers. Nail head numbers: someone with too much time on his hands and very little taste. Hale NY, one would think the office furniture company. These were shipped by the thousands to big, mostly international companies worldwide, and Argentina and even Uruguay got their fair share. What is unusual is that this one has made its way back (I am assuming it has).

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted