Old cubist painting or study?

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Apr 12, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

This is one of my older project I had given my hopes up but never dared to let it go.

The title make me believe it's music/dance related and the language that it is maybe French. The drawing looks done in pastel and/or charcoal. It is still sealed in the frame and hold together with what looks like staples nails. This was done after the 60s if I'm correct because of the staples. The used paper however looks older than the 50s 60s and It has a few dirt marks and has a fold in the middle which makes me believe it was stored folded in half for a while before it was framed.

I can remember vagly that I seen these kind of arts before but can't remember which and where.. Maybe because it's cubist and it looks all the same to me :)

Can somebody maybe tell me which dance it's related to. Thought ballet or such because of the black handles to the right? Maybe who recognise the style or any idea who the artist could be.?

Any help is welcome

20170412_134930_resized.jpg 20170412_134959_resized.jpg 20170412_134950_resized.jpg 20170412_134941_resized.jpg 20170412_135030_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Old cubist>>>
    :)
    ~
    puzzled-businessman-trying-to-solve-a-puzzel-cube.jpg

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a sketch for something else. "Rhythm and counter-rhythm." If I was guessing I'd say more Modern Dance than ballet. Beyond that...dunno.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That certainly looks like an art class piece. And it appears to have been done on a sketch pad. Might have had a live model that day posing with music. And, by, way, it's a figural study. Doesn't meet the definition of Cubism (e.g. a single object seen from multiple viewpoints.)

Debora

KingofThings likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Old cubist, eh?

Catchy concept, with title and the two dancers complementing each other.

The dancers appear (to me) to be doing some stretches against a wall.

Nice lines. I like it.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I read it as one dancer in a rotation.

Debora

KingofThings likes this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wow!
    I like that better!

KingofThings and Debora like this.
  8. benbenny007

Indeed. That is why is was thinking it is ballet related. Just wanted to know which dance so I can focus my research to a certain direction. Could also be modern dance like Deborah mentioned. I think it's maybe gymnastic related.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  9. benbenny007

You are correct! The round circle between the man's waist and knee suggest a motion/rotation.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

On -- ahem -- closer examination, you'll see it's a woman. And a bit too -- how shall we say -- "full-bodied" to be a gymnast (or a ballet dancer for that matter.)

Debora

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted