Featured Old cobalt blue glass bead

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Soki, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Soki

Soki Active Member

Hi,

I bought this nice glass bead. According to the seller it‘s from the Middle East and from the 19th century or earlier.
    It‘s about 16x12mm and weighs about 4.1g.
    The form is unregular, the surface pretty rough from weathering.
    The hole is uneven and is about 1.5mm wide, a toothpick barely goes through it. There is still a small amount of earth in it.

Is there a method to determine this piece to a specific region and century? The pictures are magnified.

Thanks a lot,
    Simon
    upload_2023-1-2_15-45-58.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_15-46-7.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_15-46-17.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_15-46-27.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  2. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

:cool: Me like, whatever it is.

wlwhittier, Soki and kyratango like this.
  3. Soki

Soki Active Member

Me, too:)
    The cobalt blue is lovely. Almost looks like a rough, high quality blue sapphire.

Robert Ransom and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder if that isn't Roman. Can you get one pulled back more distant photo if you would?

wlwhittier and Soki like this.
  5. Soki

Soki Active Member

That’d be super nice.
    Of course, thanks for your help. Lightning isn‘t the best, it‘s about 18.15 in Germany:)
    upload_2023-1-2_18-13-47.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_18-14-21.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_18-14-32.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-2_18-14-45.jpeg

bercrystal and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am inclined to go with the roman. The dirt is consistent with my roman beads. look at the dirt with a loop and see if you see in iridescent. I have two beads the same shape and size as yours on my necklace. The one is black glass the other pottery.

Soki likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

That's better, many thanks. And I'm sticking with Roman. Lovely bead, I'd wear that on a thin silver chain. Or a nice silk cord.

Soki likes this.
  8. Soki

Soki Active Member

I‘ll definetely take a look at it under my stereo-microscope. Thanks:)

That‘s nice to hear. Than it‘s probably much older than a couple hundred years. It‘s my first antique bead and I didn’t want to spend much money on it. I think 18€ is a good deal. I‘m going to wear it on a bracelet or necklace.

Thanks a lot to all of you:)

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not offering any opinion because I certainly don't know. I did want to offer a little about some beads that are from an 18th C buried context as examples of what some beads can look like when buried that length of time.

These are smaller than yours but I thought the surface and dirt might be interesting. (I was fortunate enough so have had the fun of helping sort tiny items from the dirt in this project so loved finding the beads, pins, fish scales etc.)

https://www.mountvernon.org/preservation/archaeology/archaeology-online//filter/type/Beads/2/

Rufus@frockstarvintage and Soki like this.
  10. Soki

Soki Active Member

Thank you very much! That’s definetely an interesting site. They look similar to mine in shape and surface. The hole of mine seems to be a little smaller though.
    Glass is really hard to date…

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Especially lampwork. The materials and techniques really haven't changed much.

Soki likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Glass is as it has been for millennia, basically. That blue is very Roman.

Soki likes this.
  13. Soki

Soki Active Member

I inspected this piece a bit more under my microscope and under different loupes.
    If there is a iridescence, it‘s super subtle. I can only see a dull glassy sheen.

20xmag
    upload_2023-1-3_9-58-59.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-3_9-59-11.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-3_9-59-22.jpeg

5xmag
    upload_2023-1-3_10-4-32.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Soki

Soki Active Member

I removed some of the dirt inside with a toothpick (collected it for later analysis). There‘s a thin layer of a white weathered surface, possibly with some mineral deposits.

upload_2023-1-3_10-50-39.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted