Old Chinese Vase - Identification and Value

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gburek, Nov 26, 2017.

1. gburek

gburek New Member

Hello everybody!

A colleague of mine has recently showed me his old, Chinese vase and asked for help with it's identification. I must say, that it's quite a riddle for me.

I managed to find the symbol from the bottom of the vase. Apparently it means "Chenghua Nian Zi". I've discovered, that the brown ground base mark with Chinese sign was used from around 1875 AD.

I was wondering, if any of you has some sort of experience with Chinese ceramics and could help me to gather additional informations about it's origin and potential value.

Best regards!

1.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That overall uniform crazing usually indicates recent manufacture.

Any Jewelry and Ken D like this.
  3. Ken D

Ken D Member

I agree with johnny.
    This is modern and emulated crazing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& unless I miss my guess.....that semi decent repair....renders the value....
    close to nil !

6. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I agree, looks like the mark and a thumbnail pic is there too. Welcome to the forum gburek. Unfortunately, the repair seems to encompass the whole vase from one side to the other. And even if it doesn't, most ppl who collect vases are extremely picky about chips, cracks etc. Great looking vase with an unfortunate accident, ouch! Better luck next time.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A colleague of mine has recently showed me his old, Chinese vase and asked for help with it's identification.

Was that after his wife threw it at him?
    Cuz ...for sure....someone threw it at someone..!!!

aaroncab and judy like this.
  8. gburek

gburek New Member

Thank you for your help, everyone! I didn’t expect so many useful answers, I’m really happy to find that forum.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum gburek.
    A bit late to the party, but I agree with the others. Pity about the damage, hope your colleague will enjoy the vase anyway.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted