Old Chinese Porcelain Storage Jars Marked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, May 24, 2022.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I have 2 Chinese blue and white storage jars. Both stand about 6" tall, and both have the same mark. Can anyone tell me about the mark on these?

bjar1.JPG bjar2.JPG bjar3.JPG bjar5.JPG bjar6.JPG bjar10.JPG bjar11.JPG

Bakersgma and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

New one on me with this character to the base. The character is 未 Wei in Chinese or Mi in Korean Hanja (Chinese characters used in Korean) - these jars are often Sino-Korean. One on the left looks probably like a late 19th example with the bright glaze. One on the right looks older, but hard to be sure from pics.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Ce BCA

4. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

I'm not saying these are the same as yours but check out the last 5 minutes of this video..he doesn't set himself up as an expert but has been studying hard on this subject

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have one myself. If I recall correctly I bought it in the 80s.

7. kraftblue

Barry, interesting video. He mentions most export war is not marked. Most marked items he says was meant to stay in China...if I heard correctly.

Moreotherstuff, interesting links. I posted on another group to see if someone can help with the marks.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

As an aside, these are very common Thames mudlark finds.

Draft saved Draft deleted