Old Bell help? .. Hope this is right thread

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kimmy, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

IMG_20210601_232753.jpg IMG_20210601_232427.jpg I hope I am posting in the right place and that I do this right full stop haha , I am new today lol.

Have this old bell that came from a clothes making factory.

Was wondering if its significant there's no marking or makers anywhere so unsure my self.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Any dimensions may be helpful

judy likes this.
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

It really would wouldn't it lol but me being me left my measurements book behind before I left and unfortunately I don't have the item with me at the moment.
    but from memory I would say it stands around 25cm tall and 20cm wide give or take..

It's heavy and a just a gentle tug on the bell is extremely loud haha..

It was hung up on the outside of the building so has gotten rusty on the top.

Only got this yesterday and was so intrigued by it hehe

judy likes this.
  4. Frank Nesbitt

Frank Nesbitt Member

Seems to me to be an old fire alert bell. These were often hung outside textile factories before more efficient detectors were identified. The shape wasn’t an issue just as long as it was loud and could be heard. It may well be my eyes but isn’t that a red painted outside as well?

Kimmy likes this.
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

Yes it is painted red, which is what made me think fire Bell too. :happy:

6. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I doubt it is a fire bell in the sense a fire bell is a bell on a piece of Apparatus or an alarm indicator on a wall. It looks like it could be made out of the bottom of an old breathing apparatus steel bottle or a gas / oxygen / acetylene bottle , but you would not catch me cutting up an old acetylene bottle.

Cylinder TANK BELL ranch bell dinner chime wind | Etsy

Kimmy likes this.
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

Nore me blimey, this deffinatly looks like what I have how fascinating learnt something new today :happy:.
    Thank you for that information