Featured Old, beat up chair - looks special though

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ScottPhontonx, Feb 6, 2022.

1. ScottPhontonx

ScottPhontonx New Member

Bought a house with an old beat up "antique-looking" chair. Haven't touched it, not wanting to do more harm than good.

Would like any advise if it is worth anything and how to go about getting it into the right hands at the right price.

See pictures.
    IMG_9662.jpg IMG_9663.jpg IMG_9669.jpg IMG_9668.jpg IMG_9667.jpg IMG_9666.jpg IMG_9665.jpg

Attached Files:

FishLure, KSW, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I must say I do like those hairy legs!

KSW, Darkwing Manor, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  4. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

The curule is backless. Savonarola and some others have backs. Apparently the righteousness and/or egos of the chosen ones held them upright.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

put it out to the curb and it it will get........"into the right hands at the right price."

;):woot::woot:

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, not a lot of value in this condition but definitely worth saving. It is an exceptional example of Victorian excess. If it were mine, I would post it on fb marketplace for $100.00 OBO to see if you get any interest. Hard to say.

As an example, I had a very nice Victorian carved mahogany chair frame that I ended up selling for $25.00. I had no interest until I priced it $40.00 at a garage sale and had to wrangle the $25.00 offer out of someone once they seemed intrigued.

7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoyed komokwa's response, I will offer this glimmer of hope to our new friend Scott. A little elbow grease, some new upholstery...
    Ren.jpg

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a lot of elbow grease...!!!:hilarious:

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Love it!

Born2it likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it does a disservice to show 1stDibs pricing here. In no way can 99.9% of the people ever get those kinds of prices. They cater to the highest end clientele for which money is no object. In tip top condition, this would be a $300.00 max chair in most markets. Maybe $500 in a smart shop in a big city. Even $1500.00 to most high-end decorators would be a stretch.

Drew, mark737, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees 100%, you notice 1stDibs does NOT show sold prices which is all that really counts. 1stDibs has what I call FANTASY prices or prices that have little bearing on what they are actually sold for.

komokwa, bluumz and Darkwing Manor like this.
  12. James Conrad

Exactly, I.E. correctly restored you would have more money in this chair than you could reasonably expect to get on a resale. A LOT MORE!:happy:

Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Tritto.
    1stDibs is absolutely useless in determining worth or pricing.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  14. mark737

Sorry, posting the chair from 1stDibs was my attempt at humor, which apparently failed. I've posted many times here about their wildly inflated pricing and always suggest people look at Liveauctioneers or Chairish Pink Book for sold pricing. And in that spirit, here are some examples from Liveauctioneers.

Live.jpg

Ghopper1924, verybrad, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

I love it for insurance claims!

Ghopper1924, komokwa and mark737 like this.
  16. James Conrad

No, I got it but wasn't sure if OP did.:)
    Hate to see someone drop a grand or so on a repair job based on a 1stDibs price!:eek:

17. mark737

True, I shouldn't assume the new members know about 1stDibs. When I first started getting into MCM furniture about 10 years ago I bought an American of Martinsville dresser for $50 and then found a listing for the same one on 1stDibs for $3,000. I contacted the dealer, who was within driving distance, and asked if he wanted to buy mine for $500. I figured $2500 would be a nice little profit for him, but he wasn't interested, didn't even make a lowball offer. That's when I realized their pricing was a sham.

Ghopper1924, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

19. Darkwing Manor

Send your address! Wanty-wanty!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I like it. The carvings are great. The back carving may be a "Green Man" (?); or the "North Wind" (?). I've restored many pieces which looked lost at first glance but turned out to be easily restored and well worth the time. Some have been lost causes and I've sold the interesting parts separately for more than I would gotten had fully repaired the item, as decorative pieces. My first choice is to reclaim the piece (if do-able), especially if I intend to keep the piece.

Darkwing Manor and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted