OLD AZTEC CLAY/POTTERY FACES?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 3, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Can anyone tell me what these are/were for? They are made of some kind of pottery or stone, are flat & have little holes in the back that I thought might be for a necklace?
    They measure 5-6 inches
    Thanks all, I appreciate any help
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FACE 2AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FACE 1AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FACE 3AA resized.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There used to be cords through the holes to hang them on a wall as a souvenir of Mexico.
    The one on the left is sort of Mixtec style, the one on the right sort of Maya style.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. journeymagazine

So not 500 year old pieces of jewelry from the king's wife? Dang!

lauragarnet and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Were you thinking this kind of 'thing'?;)
    [​IMG]
    Gold and feathers, probably once owned by Moctezuma II, the last Aztec ruler.

reader, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Wow that is beautiful!

6. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

AJ, your knowledge is amazing, so you make me ask questions almost every time.

How the heck did a fantastic Mexican piece made mostly of feathers manage to survive for 500 years in that condition?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. Any Jewelry

It was said to be among valuable items given by Moctezuma to conquistador Cortéz as a present for the Belgian-born Charles I, king of Spain (Charles V to the Dutch and Belgians). It was already regarded as exceptional by Europeans of the period, so they took very good care of it.
    Charles was a descendant of the Swiss-Austrian Habsburg dynasty, and the presumed headdress (it is not known if it actually is a headdress or another symbol of power) came in the possession of Austrian archduke Ferdinand in 1575.
    It has been restored since, and has been on exhibit in museums in Vienna since the early 19th century.
    I saw it in real life in the 1980s (one of the reasons I went to Vienna), it is absolutely breathtaking. It is huge, measures 175 cm from side to side, and the colours are stunning.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Aquitaine likes this.
  8. In For the old guy

I saw it in real life in the 1980s (one of the reasons I went to Vienna), it is absolutely breathtaking. It is huge, measures 175 cm from side to side, and the colours are stunning.[/QUOTE]

WOW! I took it to NOT be a fan, but had no idea it was intended for a headdress. And that might mean I'm reading something else wrong. Is it a headdress that reaches down to the knees? Or further.

If it's something I can't imagine, I shall have to stop bothering you, AJ.

9. Any Jewelry

If it was intended as a headdress (they're still not sure), it would have been worn like this one:
    [​IMG]

10. In For the old guy

Thank you again, I'll take the Aztec one.

And wow! The photographer of the latter is surely saying "stay away" from my picture.
    I'm hoping the "115" on the kids face isn't part of his marks. :cool:

I hope to give you a break.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

What looks like 115 sideways, is actually facial decoration.:D

12. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

A few years ago on a trip to Mexico I purchased an ornament like this. I was told it was very old. The next day I contracted Montezumas revenge. I was sure the ornament had something to do with it so I gave it away.

Draft saved Draft deleted