Old as dirt religious medal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Oct 17, 2024 at 11:11 AM.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_2692.jpeg IMG_2693.jpeg IMG_2694.jpeg IMG_2695.jpeg IMG_2689.jpeg IMG_2690.jpeg IMG_2691.jpeg Ok people, I seem to be attracted to the most bizarre things.
    I m not religious, but really old things have a weak spot in my heart.
    When I came across this tiny silver religious medal from a seller who offered more modern ones, it just spoke to me and I had to buy it.
    I absolutely adore the naive Jesus at the cross and look at the adorable baby's face! Almost looks like those amazing 17th century skull and bones on old gravestones.
    So this religious medal depicts the 'Sainte Chemise/Holy Shirt' of Chartres.
    One side depicts Jesus on the cross, the other side is Mother Mary with baby.
    The Chartres Cathedral is a very important pilgrim spot, and they posses a veil that is believed to have belonged to the Virgin Mary, worn at the birth of Christ.
    This religious medal would have been a Pilgrim s token, a souvenir or a token to show that you went on Pilgrimage.
    So...I have seen a few online, but I m not sure about the date of this one...everyone says something else.
    16th/17th/18th/19th century, anyone an opinion? :hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see old.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I don't see the Holy Shirt of Chartres.

Debora

Unknown.jpeg Unknown2.jpeg

Dessert58 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Dessert58

Hello Debora, thanks for your reply. the form of the medal itself depicts the holy shirt
    I disagree with old...I do see old in the way the figures are depicted, but not sure about its age

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Until I read Dessert's text, I thought it was the Tau cross, also known as the St Anthony Cross. I agree, it doesn't look like the Holy Shirt of Chartres, but I have never seen a Holy Shirt of Chartres medallion, so wdik.
    I am not seeing much age either.:(

I always love a Madonna on a crescent moon though, a reference to the main Goddesses of Europe and Asia.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 12:12 PM
    Dessert58 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Traditional, rather than old, imo.
    They probably depict specific Medieval statues, maybe miraculous ones.

Dessert58 likes this.
  7. Dessert58

AJ ok, thanks for your reply

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Dessert58

Draft saved Draft deleted