Old Antique "stand" used in Museum in the 60s

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Susan Lucky, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

This is an old wooden stand, for lack of a better name, It was used during the 60s at the New Orleans Museum of Art to display some Italian sculptures. My uncle had it shipped over from Europe when he was curator and traveled throughout Europe acquiring pieces for Exhibits! . He kept this piece long after he retired and had an old Italian sculpture of Baby St John the Baptist he kept on it.
    I've long let the sculpture go, but was wondering if anyone recognizes the style or age of the piece. It is rough. I realize this, but was told to be hundreds of years old. The pieces comes with "sets" from the top, and then the base. I have included tbe top taken apart! I hope this helps. Thank you for any help and if there is a better place to post. Please let me know....TIA for everything Stand Use 6 sized 800.jpg Stand use too sized.jpg Stand Use 4 sized 800.jpg Stand Use 4 sized.jpg Stand Use 1 sized.jpg Stand Use 6 sized.jpg stand use sized.jpg Stand Use 6 3 sized.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That bare wood doesn't seem to jive with 'hundreds of years old'...even if kept from most direct air.

3. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

The Scraped part or the rounds on the floor? The pieces on the floor we have thought might have been added as an afterthought. The age is pretty well documented in a blll lading. Which I can pull up and post if it would help. The pieces was acquired during the 50s by my uncle and was kept in storage in Italy. When he would travel over there he could go to this warehouse and pick different items to have shipped over for exhibits! Not sure where else to look to check age. If there is a place to scrape carefully, I'd love to try, anything that can help to getting an ID. Thank you so much, once again!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

Post whatever you have and wait for the 'furnys' to show up. :)

Susan Lucky likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It might be aesthetic movement,circa 1850-1870,but thats a guess.

Susan Lucky and KingofThings like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The gloss black finish on the wood I've heard called "ebonized" on Victorian objects such as hall stands etc. IMO piece could be anywhere 1880's-1950's, no way to tell for sure without having a forestry lab test a sample. You deprive yourself of full input here by omitting dimensions.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard to say, as the style is not distinctive. I kind of get a Biedermeier or maybe an Empire feel from this. This would place this as early 19th century. It would certainly be an appropriate pedestal for classical sculpture and was probably made for this purpose.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

Good to know....I will get those tonight and add them. Thank you very much!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The shape is very Georgian and they loved ebonised wood. I'd think early 19th or late 18th. I don't have a problem with the look of the bare wood: I've seen Regency pieces where concealed wood looks almost new.

10. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

Thank you so much. I'm sorry for the delay in response. Had emergency surgery am just getting back online!! Cant wait to go research!! My most sincere thanks

KingofThings, komokwa and judy like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so.....lucky to be back then !!!
    ( I'll bet you've heard that before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy, KingofThings and Susan Lucky like this.
  12. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

I've heard a lot, lol. I married into it, so my husband has heard more........best was when Excalibur gave us a free night, if they could announce us over the intercom!! Then I won a jackpot!! Good to be back. I am trying to catch up on emails and work. So much to do. I have SO much to ask about....but this was a real curiosity. I know it was sent over from Europe. But not any more than that.....and that is only because I saw the bill of lading. Interesting getting an inheritance from a museum curator, lol. So eclectic!

13. KingofThings

Owie!!! :(
    You ok now???

judy and Susan Lucky like this.
  14. Susan Lucky

Susan Lucky Member

OH, thanks for asking. I just tore my stitches and so I am back in bed......but I'll be fine......

15. KingofThings

OW! :(
    Tell us what they were for?

judy and Susan Lucky like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

stay in bed...and heal !!!!

judy, Susan Lucky and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted