Featured Old 2 sided painting, 1865?, and signature help please

Discussion in 'Art' started by tyeldom3, Apr 26, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I don't expect to find an ID, and I understand it's not a Picasso, but I would love to figure out a few things if possible.:)
    1 side has a canvas adhered to paper board and has a painting of a house, I don't see any signature. The other side is painted directly onto the paper board. I don't know what type of paint (thinking of Gila's thread about paint types).
    The first part of the signature....what is that?:confused:, and I thought the next part read 1865, but now I guess that first digit is a i and not a 1?
    Any help at all is very appreciated, thanks for your time.
    Measures about 19.5" x 13".
    pa1.jpg pa2.jpg pa3.jpg pa4.jpg pa5.jpg pa6.jpg pa7.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't really help at all but if that's a date it looks more like 1965 to me and then J. (or maybe I)Petrean.

tyeldom3, komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The good news is they're definitely not factory paintings :)
    The bad news is someone's gotta figure out how to enjoy both :(
    Love.

cxgirl, SeaGoat and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

A good mystery!
    I'm not at all convinced they are by the same person. But I do find them both pretty. The house is much more sophisticated, but the first has a dreamy, pretty memorable aspect.
    So the house was apparently the first, and the scene done later, just guessing, since it was on plain board?
    Can't find anything on Petrean.
    Hopefully somebody else will know something.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think 1965. Looks like oil paint to me. The first symbol looks like an 8 and the Roman numeral IV. I have no guess as to significance.

Wanttoknow, tyeldom3 and komokwa like this.
  6. tyeldom3

You all are great thanks so much for your thoughts looking into it SIS, Scoutshouse, Gila and Brad. I think the first digit of the 965 is an "i", it looks to have a dot over it, unless that was some kind of mistake.
    The roman numeral IV is 4 right?
    Why would there be an 8 and then a roman numeral? I ask myself, LOL!:confused::wacky:

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is probably for the 8th of April. I've seen this type of dating before, where the month is a Roman numeral and the day of the month is not.

Wanttoknow, tyeldom3 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm going to take the contrarian position - I just don't see the deer painting as being done in 1965. I see what others see as "19" before the 65 as an abbreviation as part of a date in European format. "8th(?) (some abbreviation for a month) 65." The first letter in the abbreviation is either a lower case "I" (darned auto-correct!) or a j.

cxgirl and tyeldom3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think the surname Petrean is Romanian. So the European format for the date makes sense. Looking at the Roman numeral I think it's also possible that it's a III rather than a IV. That is probably not very important.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. tyeldom3

Oh Figtree & Bakers, y'all are wonderful, that really makes sense! That helps a lot, and will help me further investigate.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted