Ok, I need some help on this one...translation, etc.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I've had this one and I just got it out of my garage to look at it. It's signed at the bottom, I can't read it. It has a stamp on the verso. Behind the date, '96, you can see some numbers and to the right of it, you can see STGT. I believe it's a German artist. This print is way shinier than anything I've ever seen, it almost looks like it's actually paint. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Reproduction Forbidden

3. Armando0831

So this is an original?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hm. I wonder whether that series of numbers behind the date is a serial number of some sort. Along the lines of an identifier that would be revealed if the print were copied.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I wouldn`t know, LOL

6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Seems to be a reproduction or copy of Berthe Morisot's "The Psyche Mirror".

antidiem likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know how to translate "collage en imprime" but it probably refers to the method of reproduction and I'm guessing whoever NGV is, set it up in 1996.

afantiques likes this.
  8. Armando0831

Imprime means printed, hard copy Etc. with the numbers behind the sig, I agree with Bakersgma, that those might be there to identify any illegal prints made from this. With that, I would think that this means a lot to someone, to protect it llegaly. The method used, I don't know. Could this be a Sample copy to a pre production of a print?

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could this be a Sample copy to a pre production of a print?

I sincerely doubt that. It might be an officially sanctioned repro from the Thyssen museum. That might account for the number. I still don't understand "collage en imprime". Perhaps it's some specific means of color separation. The fact remains that it's a repro. It might be some high quality museum repro with a premium price (I don't know), but the fact is that what flies in a museum giftshop isn't necessarily going to hold true in an secondary market. Getting a good price for this is going to depend on finding someone who's looking for a decent repro of this particular image.

Any connection to the Thyssen museum is pure conjecture on my part.

Draft saved Draft deleted