Oil on Canvas - Help with Information

Discussion in 'Art' started by mirela, Mar 20, 2024.

?

Can you help with some information about this painting please?

1. Date of painting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Artist

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mirela

mirela Member

20231216_202203.jpg 20231216_202203.jpg 20231216_202023.jpg 20231216_202203.jpg 20231216_202023.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why don't we start with... Where did you acquire it, Mirela, and what were you told about it? Is it signed? And could/would you post a photograph of the back including frame?

Debora

20231216_202023.jpg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. mirela

mirela Member

Hello,
    There is no signature.
    I bought it at an estate sale and they didn't have any information about it.
    here is the back of the painting

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Her dress is beautiful,face not so much ! Bless her heart ! Portraits are a funny beast.most folks arent into them,but those that are like a pretty subject. They just said on Antiques roadshow that women sell better than men,and naked women sell better than anyone !

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Seems Victorian in decent condition. The lace on the clothing seems very well done, and her expression is more lively then typical of 19th c. portraits. Not usually something I'd be drawn to, but it catches my eye.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An estate sale in what country? (This is an international forum.)

Debora

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

the lace work, pearls, earrings and rings look like they've been added to it later, or embellished, looks odd to me

aaaaaaaaaaa2.jpg

Marote, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's early Victorian. Pagoda sleeves with lace under-sleeves paired with a lace under-bodice and collar. Very 1850s.

Debora

Any Jewelry, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Tedious work. Perhaps the artist did in the studio or preferred to have done by another hand. (But agree. Very loosely done.)

Debora

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have a very similar portrait dated 1856
    00000a.jpg

I think that fashion is the best way to date yours.

This is the depiction of housewifery: neat and presentable, unostentatious, humble, content and competent in her position. A woman who is fully realized as wife, mother, and mistress of the house. Brown is the usual color of the uniform. The idea goes back at least a hundred years before this. Here is Mary, the Duchess of Richmond by Reynolds, c1766, dutifully engaged in an appropriately domestic activity:
    00000aaaaa.jpg

It is possible that there was more than one artist involved. There were artists that made a living putting costumes on the painted heads and hands brought in by itinerant painters.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

she looks Spanish.....
    I'll take the earrings thank you......pearls too !!

13. mirela

mirela Member

Hello,
    I am thankfull to all.
    It was bought in Michigan, US.
    Best regards,
    Mirela

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Your lady is pretty. Im just sayin...!

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I want her earrings.:hungry: They look Spanish or Portuguese, and were probably vintage or antique at the time the portrait was painted.
    I agree with 1850s, and an Iberian connection.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Earring on the portrait:

20231216_202023.jpg

18th century Iberian earrings:

LargeEmeraldEarrings1.jpg Iberian emerald.jpeg

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She may well be European.

Debora

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The closeups are too pixilated to see details and I'd be interested in seeing clear ones. We have a portrait of one of Jon's ancestors from 1834. We have provenance because it's never left the family. Her face is so well done. Then you look at the lace and pearls. I believe parts of this were overpainted at some point. Also look at the red around her fingernails. With the fine detail on the eyes and what I can see of the dress, that doesn't seem right.

We had a museum qualified restorer work on ours because the paint had dried, cracked and was 'cupping.' She did a marvelous job and now he's ready for another 200 years. She also removed some overpainting and it's amazing when you see the difference.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted