Oil on Canvas Belonged To A Library?

Discussion in 'Art' started by kraftblue, Dec 22, 2023.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting. No signature that I can see. There is a partial library ticket on back. Does this style look familiar to anyone?

art1.jpg art2.jpg art3.jpg art4.jpg art6.jpg art7.jpg art8.jpg art9.jpg

Boland and bobsyouruncle like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think that is some kind of receipt from G Fox& Co of Hartford, CT

evelyb30 likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Bakers, I couldn't grasp much of the label.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Which would make it a decorative painting. Does that read "Anniversary Greetings"?

Debora

art9.jpg

5. kraftblue

Deb, possibly. It's hard to read in person.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

LOL, I remember back in the 1960s/70s, my mother would go every couple months and take out a new painting or print at our local library for above the living room couch. You could borrow them with your library card just like books.

Potteryplease, mirana and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I was going to say...libraries have a wide variety of interesting things you can check out that people don't think of. Found out a couple weeks ago ours has a ukelele program. :joyful:

Potteryplease and bluumz like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

G Fox and Company was a department store in downtown Hartford for a long time. I used to go there when they had a stamp department on the Mezzanaine level. Probably used to be the craft department too at some point, but I'm not old enough to remember. They were later one of the original anchor stores at Westfarms mall until they were bought out by Filene's. Later bought out by Macy's.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted