Oil on Burlap Canvas Landscape w/Monogram

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Jun 8, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

IMG_9631.jpg IMG_9632.jpg IMG_9633.jpg IMG_9634.jpg IMG_9635.jpg IMG_9636.jpg IMG_9637.jpg IMG_9638.jpg IMG_9639.jpg I have had this landscape painting for 20+ years. I can not remember where I found it but likely at an antique store. I never bothered to have it framed. I can't tell if the monogram is LSB? Appears to be American 19.75 x 25.25 inches. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you for looking!

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Actually a nice old painting.I think it may be painted on raw linen and it needs to be re-stretched on a newer frame & cleaned.Save the old stretcher & nails for documentation.

Raw Linen.jpg Linen.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  3. laura9797

Thank you. I have never heard of raw linen. This feels like burlap. I collected burlap coffee and grain bags from other countries and it has the same rought/coarse texture.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Could also be a talented broke (of course),who did indeed paint on unprimed burlap.I'd get it remounted-check out YouTube & see how it's done.You can get stretched bars at most craft stores.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sidebar.. @laura9797
    ( I have a lovely one from Columbia ...a coffee roaster down the block....we became friends...he let me have my pick ! :happy:..)

laura9797 likes this.
  6. laura9797

I sold my whole collection during my estate/moving sale. It was sad to see them go. My favorite ones were from Columbia - lots of colors!

komokwa likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Or LBS? A large letter in the middle of a monogram often represents the surname. Can't tell for certain if those are the right letters, though.

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted