Oil on Board - Signed Rogers - Help Identifying Artist.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

This is an oil on board approximately 30" X 24". It's signed Rogers lower right corner.

A fairly common name, so it's going to be a challenge to identify the artist.

The label on the back is intriguing. This might be a clue to the quality of the artwork. It's for a custom framing business located in Manhattan. Address is 1597 York Avenue, N.Y.C.

I've attached photos of the painting. Any help would be appreciated. 20240112_134749.jpg

20240112_134758.jpg

20240112_134813.jpg

20240112_134829.jpg

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

This looks like a hobbyist or student piece to me. The frame, while from a shop, is an inexpensive one. People happily custom frame all sorts of things they or their loved ones have made. I custom framed a lot of puzzles. Once framed a butt-print in drywall because some parents wanted to gift the damage done by their son to him on honor of his architecture degree. :hilarious: A custom frame helps weed out factory pieces but the work should speak on its own.

For identifying the artist, I might look up old New York directories to see when that shop operated and then cross-reference any local art associations, if they had joined one.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the 5-digit postal code, the frame is 1963 or later. It does appear to be a hobbyist piece in (as above) in an inexpensive frame.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 11.09.37 AM.jpeg

mirana likes this.
  4. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks everybody for your feedback. It's good to have the benefit of other critical eyes as we learn which works are from the hand of a highly talented artist and which are from less talented ones.

I uncovered the back of the artist board looking for other info, and this is all I found. I don't know if the phone number format helps identify when Walters Art Shop might have stocked it.
    20240113_093202.jpg

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted