Oil lamp manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, Jan 25, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The website that lists European oil lamp makers no longer works, or at least the images didn't work when I tried to look this up.

Any ideas who made this lamp's burner?

Screenshot_2017-01-25-14-58-49.png Screenshot_2017-01-25-14-58-53.png Screenshot_2017-01-25-14-58-56.png

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, what a shame. I have been using that site for IDing foreign burners for years. You could access that site directly or via the oldcopper.com website. Don't dispair. I have found an archive of the manufacturers' logos on thumbwheels page using the Wayback Machine. Wayback Machine is an internet archive search engine.

An identical burner thumbwheel logo to yours isn't pictured. The closest ones that might??? be the manufacturers of the burner and not necessarily of the lamp are Hugo Schneider, Leipzig and Brökelmann, Jaeger & Busse, Neheim. I haven't time right now to do more research. Possibly this evening I will have more time.

It may take a bit for the following page to load.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160302152344/http://lumiara.perso.neuf.fr/lumiara/en/manuen.htm

Everyone should bookmark this Internet Archive search engine. All you have to do is insert the address of the webpage at the top of the page.
    https://archive.org/web/

--- Susan

Edit: you might find help on the following webpage on the oldcopper.org site;
    http://www.oldcopper.org/special_topics/oil_lamp_makers.php

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Thanks. That helps quite a bit already.

On a sidenote... I was handling the oil lamp and lifted the lily / orchid etched glass shade back on but missed the spot by an inch. Now there's an inch-long crack pointing upwards from the base of the shade. Is it going to break more and is there a way to protect it?
    :arghh:

4. Ladybranch

Ohhh, that is sad. I'm so sorry.

Hmmmm.... probably unless it is put in a locked vault and never touched or moved again.

Hmmm.... I had an early 1800s glass font that started to splinter. It had been on one of the mother's spelter figural stem lamps that I found stored away after she had died. I loved that font and wanted to keep it with the lamp. I converted the lamp to electric meaning the font wasn't going to be used again. I then took it to a friend of ours who had worked with glass at one time. He said the only thing he could suggest at that time was to wipe super glue all over it. He couldn't promise that would work. He really thought I should toss it. Well I smeared super glue all over the outside of the font. Once it dried which was quick, it was nearly impossible to see the glue. To this day, 13 years later, that font is still well together, and I'm using it on a writing desk. You might look up glass repairing in your area. Show them the shade and see if they have any suggestions.

How about posting a pic of the entire lamp and a close-up of the crack.

--- Susan

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    I have done that for years only putting the glue in the cracks and slightly above. It works wonders on glass windows also.
    greg

6. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's brass-painted spelter (is there a name for it? Bronzing?) and the column is assumingly onyx.

There is dirt and residue inside the lamp where the fuel was. How do I clean it when I can't possibly reach most of it?

The wick raiser is stuck. It's completely solid, doesn't move at all. I soaked the burner in olive oil but that didn't do anything. The wick is torn horizontally about halfway right below the burner and I'm not sure if I should try to remove it, or try to get the mechanism to work first.

Screenshot_2017-01-26-15-26-13.png Screenshot_2017-01-26-15-26-05.png

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  7. Ladybranch

A lovely banquet lamp with the Corinthian capital column mounted on a cast metal (I think cast metal) ornate plinth supported with scroll feet. Do you think that column is onyx? I haven't seen an onyx stem painted. All the onyx stem lamps I've seen go to great lengths to show off the color of the stone: black, white, sardonyx (red, brown, etc). I think with that color I'd call it gilt rather than bronzing? These tall column/pillar lamps were in vogue from around 1890s to possibly the 1920s. Now I know very little on European lamp styles so don't take as gospel the timeframe I suggested.

As to the lovely shade, I doubt it was original to this lamp. If I had to guess, I think this lamp may have had a ball shade? Wasn't this shade on that pewter lamp you posted a query about sometime ago?

When I get a real crudded gooey font I unscrew the burner and if possible unscrew the font from the stem if it isn't cemented to the stem. I pour gasoline into the font, swish it around and yet it set overnight. The crudded fonts I have dealed have all been brass with cental draft air vents running up through the fonts. I suspect there are other cleaners that would work on glass. I have also used long spongy top bottle/hummingbird feeder cleaners. By bending the wire or plastic handle, one can reach all around a font.

Again so very sorry about the crack in the shade. Greg (Hi, Greg) suggested super glue also. To be perfectly honest, I don't know what to do with this crack.

--- Susan

IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2852.JPG

bluemoon likes this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Oh, the stem isn't painted. I meant the metallic parts. The column is a beige-green onyx.

Online I've seen examples that were said to be as old as 1870's but yes this particular style was around till at least circa 1910, but most of them being from around 1900.

Yes, turns out it wasn't the original shade of that other lamp and I thought it would fit this one well. These column lamps I've seen with a variety of different shades: ball, "tulip" such as this (in varying sizes) and even fabric-covered ones.

One thing I was wondering about was this odd structure at the bottom of the lamp. The circular metal piece and the octagonal nut aren't really unusual but the holes in the metal plaque are something I can't recall seeing before. There's also the number 3 on it (in the rounded type letter / writing you often find in late victorian number markings). Is this part typical for 1890s and do the holes have a function?

Screenshot_2017-01-26-22-31-33.png

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Looks like it was a replacement for something.

Draft saved Draft deleted