Featured Oh no, not again...

Discussion in 'Tools' started by springfld.arsenal, May 24, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’m trying to resist Yard and estate sales and have actually been somewhat successful, but unfortunately someone in our machinist club emailed the membership about one I had to attend. Why? They included priced lists of the main items and a few of them were on my “buy” list already. Talked to the seller and he mentioned more items that weren’t on the two-page partial list. Went. Spent. Went back. Spent more, truck totally full this time. Bought some big items I’ve got to pick up after the seller brings a forklift in. No regrets, yet anyway, was all stuff I can use in my projects. I’ll attach some pix, mostly of items I didn’t buy, but first 3 are now mine. There were many more machine tools available there, but you get the idea from the photos. See how many you can identify.

09E274E0-368D-4D99-A1F0-01F12C285A40.jpeg
    2168B2C7-9665-4ACA-868F-4C2BB62C2351.jpeg

B87CE620-FB72-4B37-843B-CAE055F0B28E.jpeg
    50237F9A-51ED-4649-86BE-997CDA561F03.jpeg

7A23E335-BC62-4A79-BCFE-741F38F29CFF.jpeg
    10DF2FF2-6683-4C6C-A575-CF9D70BEF2AD.jpeg

B09D344A-C2F7-464E-890D-C2AB96F46212.jpeg

929341E9-5679-446E-9054-B3A891E92608.jpeg

440D9E80-084D-42FA-B9BE-9C2A802EC5B8.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Heavy metal thunder..............enjoy your toys !!! :happy:

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Oh my .. great stuff !! Unfortunately I don't know a THING about tools, I have a huge pink toolbox LOADED but I don't have a clue about what most of it is used for, except the hammer and spanner. My son uses the tools when he is at my house fixing things. Anyway, GREAT haul Spring !! :) .. Joy.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Nice old bridgeport. I have one just like that with DRO & power crossfeed.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Glad you found some stuff you needed.

As for me, I haven't a clue what all that stuff could or would do.

From now on when I enter a tool room at an estate sale, you will come to mind.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Well ok I’ll tellya about first three shown that are mine now. First is a sensitive drill (shhh! Please don’t say it is ugly, remember it is sensitive!). Second we have a green 100-ton 4-post hydraulic press for putting the squeeze on anything that fits in it. Third is an abrasive surface grinder that will grind a mirror-smooth surface on ferrous metal. You can adjust the finished height of the metal to within as little as 1/10,000 inch if everything is in perfect adjustment, I’m told. I have a smaller surface grinder that will hold ferrous metal up to 6 x 8” (plan view) but the “new” one will accommodate up to 8 x 24”. Surface grinders hold their workpieces down with either permanent switchable magnets or electromagnets. The “new” one uses an electromagnet.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Rayo56 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, gotcha.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    :smug:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what to use that fore - I do remember I had a Milwaukee portable magnetic drill we used till it was stolen

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I could use your last one instead of my old belt sander. I have 8 pieces of a 1950 glider set that needs sanding and painting. When I was living up north they only needed sanding and painting every 10 years, down here at the shore the finish only lasts 4 years.:rolleyes:
    greg

10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Easier to take it to a sandblaster. then the surface is rough enough to be primed with Rustoleum then spray paint it with Rustoleum paint. If you can find a powder coater and can afford it, that wold be the real way to go!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Rayo,
    I know I wish I could afford to have done with a powder coat but again it is just me taking apart, sanding and priming and two coats of paint. Reinstalling and another coat of paint. I use Rustoleum primer and paint. I would sell it but down here but everyone and I mean everyone wants resin crap. The best job was when they had the hot dip tanks, horrible on wood but wonders on these metal pieces. I have taken good care of them over the last 50 years but I am old and getting tired. It is a lot easier to polish silver:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

pearlsnblume, Rayo56 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hah .. I DO know what a sandblaster is, my ex used to sandblast the oil rigs up in Alberta Oil Country .. he also used to defrost them in the winter to keep them going :). I'm proud of this little bit of knowledge and thrilled that I recognized "Sandblaster" .. other than that I know Jack Squat about tools and machinery, :) ... Joy.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

Went back the next week and made offers on a few more items i can use.

1. Belt grinder, about 4’ tall, 500 lbs, 3 hp. I’m sure i can buy abrasive belts for it.

2. Arbor press, about 200 lbs, 30” tall.

3. Pair of heavy, steel-top tables, 3x3 and 4 x 5.5’ tops.

4. Pair of die -filing machines, both with problems, hope to make one good one.

Left bids for sheet metal shear, brake, and nice vintage Craftsman drill press.

Buying one of the tables also got me a 300-lb. cube of solid cast iron that was stored underneath, you just never know when the need for that may pop up and that’s around $800. Worth if bought new.

Belt grinder on left, same idea as belt sander but made to work on metal. Cast iron block visible on lower right.
    C46B73FB-B3F1-4CB1-8501-2930A5D808F0.jpeg

Two steel-top tables, smaller one upright inside larger one, inverted for the short trip.
    56879C28-8DFC-4C37-9B88-2D755E8E374B.jpeg

Belt grinder as lifted from truck. Working close to roof of truck required an unusual method of rigging. Old forklift tines had to be locked so they’d stay apart a certain distance which was accomplished using the small “mover’s dolly” that happened to be nearby. Built-in fork locks don’t work anymore and owner (me) hasn’t gone to the trouble to fix them. 01DBC141-C3CA-4713-9A7E-598C23325C61.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  14. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

OMG!! :woot: You have a factory or warehouse to store all this? Some people have all the luck!

15. springfld.arsenal

Yes, wife and I rent about 16k sq. Ft. In 3 warehouses for our businesses. I call my space “The Hoarditorium.”

16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

17. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

As I look at the photos, I find myself musing about whether you still have ten (whole) fingers...

komokwa likes this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

The digits
    Aren't hurtin’,
    But brain cells?
    Uncertain!

morgen94 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted