Odd shape Clear Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Dec 23, 2016.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up this cool looking vase. Has an interesting top. Stands 9" tall and the opening is 2". The top rim was cut and smoothed out. No makers mark. Slight wear on the base. Can anyone help ID?

clear1.JPG clear2.JPG clear3.JPG clear4.JPG clear5.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Possibly chinese,Ive got one the exact same shape,but colored,and it had a made in China sticker on the bottom.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Johnny

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Shoot, I hate my old brain.
    I think it was the LE Smith book I was looking through. I saw this same shape pictured in pink with a light swirl from bottom to top. I think it was made during the 1980s.
    If I think of it today, I will try and get the line name.

5. kraftblue

Thanks Clutter!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ok, I remembered to read the note I wrote and put in my pocket.:)

Tom Felt, LE Smith Encyclopedia of Glass - Patterns and Products 2011
    Page 274

Several pieces shown in pink with a swirl. But one vase is the exact same shape, with the top opening.

Pattern Rondelay 1984 -1987
    The difference is the swirl. He says the vase is blown glass. Was made in pink, blue and crystal. Pattern #8037.

However, he is indicating that LE Smith was not able to make blown glass. That most likely this pattern was made by Libbey who operated the Smith factory from 1976-1986.

The vase shown is listed as 10". I see your vase is 9". So maybe Libbey made another version that was plain glass and a different size.

7. kraftblue

Thanks for all the help Clutter!

Draft saved Draft deleted