Odd plastic sculptures. MCM?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Dec 11, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Was at a sale yesterday. The sale runner after seeing that I knew a little bit about this and that broke these out. He had someone come in earlier and inquire after them. The prospective buyer asked how much. The seller could tell the buyer knew what they were but wouldn’t share. The seller said he wasn’t sure on price. The buyer made the seller promise that once he decided on a price that he would give him first chance to buy them at that price. This made the seller inclined to believe they are pretty valuable. The prospective buyer has since called back inquiring again. Seller says the buyer is a big MCM guy and so speculates they are of that era. They look like garbage almost. Like broken cast offs or some poorly made child’s toy. As soon as I type that someone will confirm they are priceless high art and that I have no taste I’m sure :). One looks kind of volcano ish. The other looks like a penis or worm with a face on it. They look like they could be made for one to go into the other but that’s probably a childish leap and not the case. Larger piece has 10/100 scratched on bottom. Did not see mark on the other but I didn’t look very close. I told him I’d try to help since he was a nice guy and gave me some deals. If there’s anywhere I’ll find something out it’s likely here. Anyone? 48E88F21-E3B5-4411-9A81-778505F41C0A.jpeg BA263983-A1BB-4A50-AEBF-EF752A67FFAC.jpeg 8B7C9896-31B0-429A-BBCC-EA582B979BCF.jpeg D29F4083-1416-4D17-A42C-919C1599CD76.jpeg 39F77516-18FA-4120-ADFF-64807145DBDC.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

someone made a hundred..... possibly...of these , so they gotta be something...

it's easy to see how a sexual nature would enter into the equation .....

good luck finding the maker...!!

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

You’d think yeh. Thanks. I’d like to help him. Guessing if anything some type counter culture type artist late 60s into 70s maybe. I have no clue. It doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the estates contents at all but maybe they had a teenager that dragged it home and most of the kids stuff was gone but this stayed in storage or something.

komokwa likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but the spike one is grinning from ear to ear!

pearlsnblume and J Dagger like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These kind of look like colored lucite?

6. J Dagger

They seemed more light weight, not as dense as lucite. I could be wrong but I thought it was cheaper variety of plastic. Could be though…

7. komokwa

it looks to me that they are trying to imitate glass....

8. J Dagger

Ok guys. I got back in touch with the guy that had these. He did figure it out. He didn’t say how when I brought it up. The sculptures are by Kenny Scharf. He seems to be a HIGHLY collected artist. There is a pair of these listed on eBay for $3500 or so. His stuff sells often. Not sure if that’s a realistic price or not but it’s surprising to me. I can usually find something about most artists work that I like. I’m not saying I hate this guys work but I definitely don’t like it much. Many do though it seems. Very interesting end to this one. If only I had offered him a nice chunk of cash for them that day.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Resin sculptures. Looks like they're missing an element.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 8.44.34 PM.png

10. komokwa

good thing you didn't.....for only 2 of the 3 pieces,,

antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. J Dagger

I guess they look slightly cooler with the cube type shape on top and multiple colored pieces in groups. I still don’t think I’d necessarily like to have one on display.

12. J Dagger

Complete is good. In that case as long as someone was willing to give me a slightly larger chunk for an incomplete version I’d be fine with that too. Always good to know what you’re dealing with as far as completeness though. That’s for sure.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Even if it was complete, I'd not think the price worth it.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure they'd be a good long term investment.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted