Featured Odd oil painting, Eastern European?

Discussion in 'Art' started by ValerieK, Mar 4, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This oil painting came in a job lot and I love the colours, which go well with our hallway, even thought the perspective is way out. I like the little men on the raft waving at me every time I come home. They seem to be on the river without a paddle, and it looks like they were having a drink and possibly a game of cards when their raft broke loose from its moorings - the boathouse? in the cliff is far too small, the sizes are all wrong. The scene contains a church in the distance which looks a little bit Greek or Russian, but the figures could be Middle Eastern with their long droopy moustaches, tall woollen (?) hats and baggy clothes. The tall houses or apartment buildings on the cliff have medieval style toilets built out over the river! Could it be Eastern Europe, say Albania? I can't read the signature or writing on the back, and don't recognise the language or alphabet. I know this isn't a valuable painting but I would like to identify at least the country. The frame is also really nice, probably worth more than the painting! The canvas is open at the back and looks very recent. I could try to get better photos if anyone needs a better look. painting - 1.jpg painting - 2.jpg painting - 3.jpg painting - 4.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love it! What an odd combination of styles and techniques!

3. ValerieK

I'm glad you like it too, I find it strangely fascinating. I'm hoping someone will recognise the town, if not the painter. By the way, Cary Grant grew up a short walk from our house, but they were not the happiest years of his life.

i need help, TraceyB and dude like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

He had a pretty sad life all told, actually.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would say Hungary or Romania.

6. ValerieK

Mmm, there's a Hungarian restaurant in a nearby road, when things get back to normal I'd not only like to eat there again - tried it a while ago, and liked what I ate - but also I could take in some photos and see if they recognise the writiing or the scene. I don't know any Romanians, though!

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Plenty of Romanians in London and Paris, don't carry anything valuable :hilarious:

8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Tbilisi on the river Kura in Georgia.
    43C780E0-8D5C-48D8-8B2C-C115D050904A.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I rather love it too!!!! Pretty darn good comparison, @anundverkaufen!!! Could that date possibly say 1770, Cady or something like that???

10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

A picture of the signature without the glare would be helpful.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

talk about water front property !!! :playful::playful:

i need help and TraceyB like this.
  12. ValerieK

I will try again later, in better light - some dark rainy days recently!

i need help and TraceyB like this.
  13. ValerieK

That surely must be the scene, with a bit of artistic licence thrown in! What a wonderful result to my query, and one I would almost certainly never have arrived at on my own. How did you find that photo? I hadn't thought of searching for Georgia. The colours in the photo are very like the painting, too. I've just searched for modern Georgian artists but no luck so far, will keep trying. But I suspect this isn't by a known artist, more like an enthusiastic amateur.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

i need help and patd8643 like this.
  16. Brynne

Brynne Member

Spot on:
    The Kura (Turkish: Kura; Azerbaijani: Kür; Georgian: მტკვარი, Mt’k’vari; Armenian: Կուր, Kur; Ancient Greek: Κῦρος, Cyrus; ) is an east-flowing river south of the Greater Caucasus Mountains which drains the southern slopes of the Greater Caucasus east into the Caspian Sea

Love the turbans and long white mustaches. Fantastic painting

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Roaring20s and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Oh! Oh! Oh! I think picking pockets is an international profession.

19. ValerieK

I hope someone can read

20. ValerieK

My computer just posted of its own accord that unintentional insult above, I was trying to say that I hope someone can read Georgian script! Here are better photos of the signature and text on the back. Tblisi - 1.jpg Tblisi - 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted