Featured Oak Yorkshire rose 1474

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluumz, May 23, 2019.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I’ve found only a few other items on the net with the same St. George’s Chapel 1474 marked on the back. Sellers of those items state that the oak was original to the chapel which is at Windsor Castle in the U.K. I’m trying to determine when this might have been done. I found one source that said items were made from salvaged oak during a 1930s renovation and another that said it was a 1950s/60s renovation. I emailed the friends of Saint George’s Chapel a couple months ago and never heard back. Any ideas? As you can see, it’s rather crudely carved. Any thoughts on whether the carving is original or whether it was done when the oak was salvaged?
    This is to be a gift for my daughter who is a fan of medieval history, particularly Richard III and the Wars of the Roses. She’s a Yorkist at heart! The construction of St. George’s Chapel was begun by Edward IV, father of Richard III. (Some sources say the construction began in 1475, others claim 1474.) I’d like to offer my daughter any known history of the piece when I give it to her. The seller had no idea, simply saying it had been used as a small collection bowl in a church.

C9ED28B0-552D-4FD3-934E-BAF8716D6436.jpeg 0861AF69-35E1-421E-85DA-4845889FCDB7.jpeg

On a 2018 visit to the UK, a Richard III pilgrimage:

AA3D2943-EF6F-4562-9BFF-985A82650980.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are the others you have seen also the rose? I imagine the chapel would have had a lot of them, but if these were a good selling souvenir you can imagine them making more. How different/same is yours to any others you've found?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

No, the other items are all quite different.
    A gavel, a stool, candlesticks, a desk pen holder, and a tray.
    The antique shop that has the stool says it "was probably made mid-20th century".
    The gavel listing states it was made from an oak beam salvaged during a February 1933 renovation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Do you know which part of the chapel it was salvaged from, and what its function was?
    I also love Yorkshire roses btw.:)

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Not a clue!

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Guess the question becomes, in any renovation, no matter the year, did they permanently remove some decorations? That all the oak souvenirs are different at least encourages the notion that they weren't cranking the roses out in a back room.

judy, Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You could ask the Richard III Society but you have to pay to join.

They also have a Facebook page but I am not on FB so can't help you.

Ironically, I've just recently cleared the home of the Chair of the Ricardian Society and the Yorkshire Ridings Association, after she passed away.

I found over 1000 White Rose of Yorkshire flags.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had a few bits and pieces over the years made from wood from London Bridge, the Victory and assorted churches. Mostly, they were fashioned from beams that had been replaced, so anything like carving was done much later. I doubt this started as a rose: any decent conservation effort would have preserved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted