Oak Hall Tree, Age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mr2real, Jan 1, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This piece is being offered for sale on an online yard sale for $60. It is advertised as antique. I'm trying to find a similar example. The short feet, musical note shape at the top, and the two concave pieces on the side are features I'm having trouble matching. There is also a flower design at the top. Anything you could tell be about it would be great. Is there a piece missing? There is a rectangular shaped hole in the top platform.

hall tree.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Don't have a clue how old this is, but the rectangular hole centered over the round metal thing in the lower platform appears to be for umbrellas.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

YUp, brollies. In style, it looks 1930s.

4. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Well, I offered $50 and she agreed. She can vouch for 40-50 years of age, and it wasn't new when she bought it. I think it's a pretty good deal.

kentworld likes this.
  5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Me too...:)

Thinkin' 1910s...ish.
    On line yard sale...
    ...What else did ya get?:cool:

6. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Nothing else today. About a year ago I bought 3 sets of California license plates for $5 each and sold them for a little more than $700.

7. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This piece has already arrived. It's setting in my living room with two jackets hanging on it. It's a little wobbly forward and backward. Should I tighten all the screws or just secure the top to the wall?

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Or put pennies under the front legs? :)

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think very early 20th century is about right. Has some Asian influence to it but believe it to be Western in make. Possibly English. I don't think anything is missing with it.

10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Oooh. A hall-stand. I've wanted one of these for ages! You're so lucky to get it for $50!!

11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It sure can't hurt to tighten the screws.

Draft saved Draft deleted