Featured NWC Fish Club

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sdcookie2, May 19, 2023.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Just picked this up this morning. What do you suggest to clean and preserve the piece? Has some age, with a trace of red ocre. You opinion?

Thanks Steve PXL_20230519_194610499~2_copy_1582x746.jpg PXL_20230519_194630171~2_copy_1612x726.jpg PXL_20230519_194617413_copy_1612x907.jpg PXL_20230519_194613582~2_copy_1456x720.jpg PXL_20230519_194634317_copy_1612x907.jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd go with about any type of furniture polish. I'm not real impressed with the piece; form usage is not really correct, and suggests the maker might not be native; looks like someone who had seen NW Coast native art, but had not really studied it much. Just my opinion.

Potteryplease, sabre123 and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I can not speak to NWA or not but when we went deep fishing, the first mate used a club to kill the fish once they were pulled on board. It wasn't carved just a short baseball bat.

Potteryplease and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't know the answer about cleaning, but it looks like a whale to me.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It doesn't look like it has any finish at all. Anything you do is going to add one.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd use a light oil...but not clean it.....

[​IMG]

it's a seal....based on the centre design..

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would use a soft brush to gently clean it, but not apply any oil or other finish. You can't go wrong doing nothing to change the surface, and if kept in proper conditions the wood does not need anything to preserve it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I defer to your greater knowledge on this topic! :)

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Komo-That's a nice old collection of clubs.Looks like a page from an old museum catalog/ethnographic publication ?

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some early museum photo...
    a mix of fish clubs and seal clubs....but....the far right is a most is most rare....as in ' well done please'... war club, the likes of which are not often seen.....

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Komo-The one in the museum plate's stunning-I'm imagining myself holding it,the weight and patination-yikes !

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  13. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

As books said, keep it in the right conditions, I.e warm and dry. Rot needs wet. Unless of course you are planning on going on a fish clubbing spree. Any preservative is likely to stain it.

Draft saved Draft deleted