NOT SURE WHICH FORUM TO POST IN....but it IS METAL.....so, here goes...

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Aquitaine, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I found a can of what I thought was LOST coins....I think all American, some going back to early 1800s......pennies, nickels, dimes quarters and half dollars, but this large 'penny' is barely readable and has me wondering ......I believe my father was collecting them, some, as a boy, but that's all I know.....back to the penny.......Barely able to pull out any images let alone any date....but the Obverse looks to have a standing figure....to me it looks to be gazing skyward and holding something in either hand.....could it be an Indian figure?? The Reverse looks to be possibly an Eagle, but I'm guessing here.....the coin is 1 1/8" or nearly 3cm if I've got the cm right!! Also, the penny is NOT eaten or eroded away on one edge, as it looks in my images....that's just me and my editing!!! I just noticed it when I posted! Sorry!! And I will blow them up larger unless someone says they're of no use or just junque!!! Thank you for any input, as ALWAYS!!!!

COIN-OBVERSE.jpg

COIN-REVERSE-edit1.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Nothing I recognize, could a token.
    It does look like an eagle though.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like one, rode hard and put away wet and drilled for a watch fob.

kyratango, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!! Thank you @bluumz!! That may be about as close as I'm going to get!!! I didn't key in for a MA coin specifically!! At least I can start digging in that direction!! Thanks all for looking too!! There are a LOT of coins in that can....none uncirculated, but many in VERY good condition....so will be trying to tackle them for a while! Will post if I hit any virtual "gold" (ie..value wise!!!)!! I think this one was in the worst condition!

kyratango, bluumz and komokwa like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, I wonder if it was dug up with a metal detector. Depending on soil conditions, some metals come out looking about like they did when they went in.