NOT SURE IF IN RIGHT THREAD....BELONGED TO SiL'S LATE BROTHER....SHE

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Aquitaine, May 22, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

was wondering if it was anything significant....he was a Naval Aviator and treasured this....so she didn't know if it carried any special meaning or not.....any help provided, I thank you for her, very much! He fought the good fight with brain cancer for a solid five years.....

SCHATZ CLOCK-1.jpg

SCHATZ CLOCK-2.jpg

SCHATZ CLOCK-3.jpg

SCHATZ CLOCK-4.jpg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

sabre123 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you're right, I see it now.
    it was for the Black Forest Navy.

sabre123 likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. daveydempsey

I guess we will not know until the back is off.
    The example shown in the OP says Made in Germany, Fids example which is quartz says made in West Germany, (and we all know what that means), it does not have an advance and retard screw nor an alarm on-off on the face like the one in the OP.
    Why put 8 day if its quartz ?

Examples in my Google Images link show mechanical clockwork versions sold with a key.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

he's right. probably this company didn't know what they produced and therefore made a booklet about their history.
    first of all the keyholes are also shown. secondly they write that they started this model in the 1980s. third and last - even when someone doesn't read German, he sees that here is no such model shown before this pic.
    and last and finally - sorry to say, but Worthpoint sellers who are listing in English are no reference at all.
    my guess would be that what they called Quartz in the 80s is a battery driven clockwork.
    if only af was still around...

SBSVC likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you Gentlemen!!! I'll see if I can convince BiL & SiL to take the back off!!! They won't find much more out if they don't!!!

9. daveydempsey

Perhaps I'm not seeing this correctly, admitted I don't read German very well but I can certainly speak it.

To my eyes the clock in the OP has western numerals and says in English Made in Germany and also states 8 day.

Fids example has Roman numerals and says made in West Germany and does not say 8 day

The company concerned began making these type of ships clocks shortly after WWII and went bust in 1981.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

1981: Die Firma Schatz Jahresuhren beschäftigt 350 Mitarbeiter.
    1986: Die Firma Schatz Jahresuhrenfabrik geht in Konkurs.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and now to something completely different.
    Ein Sohn von August Schatz, Carl Schatz, er hatte die Englische Staatsbürgerschaft und hatte in England eine Uhrenfabrik gegründet.
    the old man had a son that had English citizenship...and was founder of a watch company in England ...but seems to have used the old name...

furthermore the name Schatz was given or bought by a company by the name of KUNDO (Kieninger und Obergfell) in 1986 after they went bankrupt and was in use it seems for quartz works...
    https://www.uhrenwerkstattforum.de/...-Kaliber-zum-Zaehlen-der-Zeit-ueberredet.html

and Kieninger went bankrupt February 2020 and there seems hope that some Johnny Miller brings some US dough - oh no wait, his name is Howard...
    endless....
    And they all lived happily ever after...nighty night

open that back pleeeeze.:)

DizzyDaff likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member