Featured Not antique - Question about cleaning gold electroplate flatware

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mansons2005, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have a service of Godinger Gold Electroplate flatware. It has been stored, undisturbed, in a silver chest lined with Pacific Cloth for a few years (possibly 20!). A few of the pieces had small spots of tarnish which cleaned up with a Sunshine cloth, but some of the pieces (particularly knife blades and the bowls of the spoons) have lightly discolored.I'm not sure if you can see it in these photos, but there is a "line" marking where the blade was in the slot as well as some "haze" above that line.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to clean the discolorations? Neither the Sunshine cloth nor a brisk rub with Goddard's had any effect on the haze/marks, only the tarnish.

Thanks in advance!

PS It goes without saying that I also tried warm, soapy water!

MVC-125S.JPG

MVC-127S.JPG

2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have a few pieces that had the same problem. Recently, someone suggested a stainless steel cleaner but I didn't have any to give it try.

3. Mansons2005

Oh! I think I have some someplace...............if I can locate it and I do try it, I will let you know the results!

Thanks!

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Baking soda paste with a soft cloth... paper towels will scratch.

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Now, if I can find the pieces, I can give that a try. Thank you.

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVELY !!! ... Joy. ... :)

7. Mansons2005

Thank you! Though I do have to admit that this service is not really to my taste. Its one of those things that OCD people with more money than sense do.......we bought it for a specific table setting (gold and white dinnerware, gold rimmed glassware, gilt candelabrum, on a crimson cloth) and I don't think we used it more than a dozen times after that. I don't regret buying it - it was a VERY successful dinner party - but common sense should have prevailed over conspicuous consumption.

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That table setting sounds wonderful Mansons .. and with the crimson tablecloth .. beautiful !!! .. Joy .. :)

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Barkeepers Friend on an old soft cloth.

10. Mansons2005

That worked a treat! And with minimal elbow grease! Thanks OBB.

Now, to fond someone with bad (or no) taste that actually wants to buy this stuff....................for an inflated price of course.......................

Aquitaine, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like it's from the 1960s to early 1970s. Somebody will think they've struck gold. :hungover::hungover::hungover::p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. Mansons2005

The dinner this was bought for was the day after R. Reagan was shot, so...................

and yes, I banned THAT topic at table.....................

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good idea. In perpetuity, one hopes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It IS a LOVELY looking set.......I can only imagine how nice the table setting looked with everything else all gold rimmed!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::):):)

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted