Not all that shines is silver ....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kactus 100, Nov 13, 2016.

1. kactus 100

kactus 100 Active Member

Boredom sends me to shop on the web... so I just brought, what I believe to be a Bedouin / middle eastern wedding bracelet or something on the same lines. It was advertised as silver (which they usually are) but when it arrived it's more gold-ish or brass. It has hallmarks but I have no idea if they are real or just on a brass piece to make it look correct. How can I tell if it's brass? Or gold plate?
    Maybe I should find something else to do when bored ! Lol
    IMG_9319.JPG IMG_9320.JPG IMG_9322.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when they advertise as silver....ya always gotta wonder ...what kind of silver?
    could be sterling with a gold wash.....but those markings leave a lot to be desired....

Next time you're bored...go outside.....buying stuff you can touch is a great way to relive boredom !!! :happy:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. kactus 100

kactus 100 Active Member

Sadly I live so far away from any town - and don't get me talking about the lack of car boots sales here.. so usually the net is the only option... :-((
    I do usually try to be sure of what I'm buying but we live and learn.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  5. kactus 100

kactus 100 Active Member

Thank you!!!!
    I thought they might be Egyptian because I've seen them there, but even happier that it's firstly not brass! And secondly it's from Siwa! I was there years ago and it was one of the most amazing places that I've been. I have an amazing scarf from there....
    I have never seen gold colored ones!
    Thank you again!

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The ones I've run across are weakly magnetic with a good neo magnet. The remnants of 'silver' plating look like tin. I think they all originated in India in the last century.

Draft saved Draft deleted